Far too expensive long stuff storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browntown52

Reaction score
I brew in the garage, the same place that has sawdust and grinding dust + spiders and general dirt. So I store most stuff inside, in plastic bins. I have a shoebox size plastic bins for kegerator plumbing parts, tap parts, O-rings and corney keg parts, etc. I have a white 20gal "Brute" Rubbermaid Food handling trash can with lid. The big funnel and pitchers go in there, and it doubles as a sanitizer bucket on brew day.. I have a 5 gal bucket with lid that has all my hoses.

The one thing I couldn't find decent storage for was the long stuff (Car boy brush, racking canes, stir spoon, auto-siphon, etc). They were laying sideways in the wife's pantry, collecting dust, and I would occasionally be yelled at when a can of beans was set on an unseen racking cane, fall over, and drop 4 feet from the top shelf. This stuff is too long to fit in a spare Corny, and needed their own home.

Still with me? Why the big buildup? Because I'm crazy and built a storage container that costs more than the implements inside.

4" PVC DWV Pipe - Home Depot would only sell me a 2 foot (not long enough) or a 10 foot section. I bought the ten feet for 25$, just to use 32" of it. Now I have 7 feet of massive pipe in the garage.

4" Endcap, something like 7$

4" Female to thread 4$

4" Threaded cap 3$, and btw is mostly water tight, but will leak a little if just tightening by hand.

Had PVC cement and primer at home. Finally something free!

Anywho, if anyone else wants to spend 40$ for a spoon holder, here's one way to do it. Just thought I'd share how a small idea, became a compulsive overspend.

2016-12-20 12.19.45.jpg

2016-12-20 12.20.38.jpg

2016-12-20 12.21.24.jpg

Looks good, but you could have put it all in a wrapping paper container for about 8 bucks at wally world.

Oh well, there's always next time. Yours does have the home made cool factor though.

I would have never thought of that wrapping paper container either, and it is kinda big for a few racking canes and spoons.

Just be careful with storing things like carboy brushes wet inside any (closed) container. If you go that length, you must hate rusty tools too, especially brewing tools.

Now that tube you made is great for sanitizing those long pieces... it can serve double duty perhaps?

I would have never thought of that wrapping paper container either, and it is kinda big for a few racking canes and spoons.

Just be careful with storing things like carboy brushes wet inside any (closed) container. If you go that length, you must hate rusty tools too, especially brewing tools.

Now that tube you made is great for sanitizing those long pieces... it can serve double duty perhaps?

Rusty or moldy...

I just hang it all in the garage and give it a quick rinse before I use it. If it's cleaning gear, it gets clean when I use it, if it is preboil, I don't worry about it and if it's post boil it gets a spray of starsan. Probably not as organized, but it works for me...

Yup, the pictures were post star-san in tube. Swished around with cap, and drained. I have the cap off and the whole pipe upside down (slanted) on a clean towel to dry. I may drill a couple holes in the screw cap (or buy a second one for dedicated drain/dry use)

Yup, the pictures were post star-san in tube. Swished around with cap, and drained. I have the cap off and the whole pipe upside down (slanted) on a clean towel to dry. I may drill a couple holes in the screw cap (or buy a second one for dedicated drain/dry use)

Moisture will cause rust on the twisted metal brush wires, even more so after an acid bath in Starsan.

Regarding mold, as @CGVT pointed out, I've seen (black) mold spots develop on the bottom of the lid and the headspace sides of the bucket I store my Starsan in. Even after Starsan-ing those surfaces. It's caused by condensation, which rinses off the Starsan and leaves the surface open to mold development. A takes a few weeks though.

A deep narrow vessel like your tube will be even more susceptible to that.

I always meant to store racking canes in a tube like yours, filled with Starsan.

I see a musty smelly moldy brush in your future. My empty buckets got black mold during storage after cleaning with just the lid lightly on in a clean spare bedroom and

Latest posts

Back