FAQ: How do I tell if a keg is stainless steel or aluminum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregerg

Reaction score
I apologize if this is not proper form, but in my searches for the answer to this question I found several threads with conflicting information, and I felt there should be a post with accumulated/accurate information. A goal of mine (and I imagine others searching for this subject) is to obtain some stainless steel 15.5 gallon kegs, and convert them into brew kettles. Please reply if you have more information, or you see incorrect information. (maybe this could get stickied? :D )

I read a few people saying that most kegs today are stainless steel, but I see others deny this. Does anyone know if one is more common? I'm not sure how to verify this other than someone who is knowledgeable on this subject.

Accurate Tests
  • Scratch: aluminum scratches easier
  • Dent: Aluminum dents easier
  • Grinder: hit inconspicuous spot with angle grinder, if it sparks it's stainless
  • File: If you want to RUN FOR EAR PLUGS its stainless

Possibly Unreliable Tests
  • Weight: Aluminum MIGHT weigh less (unless it's thicker?)
  • Magnet: stronger magnets (hard drive/neodymium) sometimes stick to SS, but never to AL

Sometimes kegs have information pressed onto them near the bottom skirt or the top. Like when they were made, material, capacity, etc.

If you match a number on your keg to one of the following steel grades, then you've got a stainless steel keg.

Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Steel Grades

Three Major Classes of Stainless Steel
Source:http://www.fantes.com/stainless-steel.html
  • Austenitic: Chromium-nickel-iron alloys with 16-26% chromium, 6-22% nickel (Ni), and low carbon content, with non-magnetic properties (if annealed - working it at low temperatures, then heated and cooled). Nickel increases corrosion resistance. Hardenable by cold-working (worked at low temperatures) as well as tempering (heated then cooled). Type 304 (S30400) or "18/8" (18% chromium 8% nickel), is the most commonly used grade or composition.
  • Martensitic: Chromium-iron alloys with 10.5-17% chromium and carefully controlled carbon content, hardenable by quenching (quickly cooled in water or oil) and tempering (heated then cooled). It has magnetic properties. Commonly used in knives. Martensitic grades are strong and hard, but are brittle and difficult to form and weld. Type 420 (S42000) is a typical example.
  • Ferritic: Chromium-iron alloys with 17-27% chromium and low carbon content, with magnetic properties. Cooking utensils made of this type contain the higher chromium levels. Type 430 is the most commonly used ferritic.
  • Two additional classes worth mentioning include Duplex(with austenitic and ferritic structures), and Precipitation Hardening stainless steel, used in certain extreme conditions.

I found several threads with conflicting information,
I read a few people saying that most kegs today are stainless steel, but I see others deny this.

Do you have a link to these threads?

What kind of kegs are you looking for?

Not sure tone is useful, as that will vary depending on the size. Also C flat = B.

Honestly, I don't know that I would want/need to know most of this info to make beer, but perhaps others would?

That ones you've listed are the big ones. Sometimes kegs DO have information pressed onto them near the bottom skirt or the top. Like when they were made, material, capacity, etc.

The scratch test seems sound and honestly I have not tried the magnet test but maybe a hard drive magnet would be a good way to check. Because of the size I honestly think you'd notice a substantial difference in weight. I get that thickness makes a difference. But I don't see you finding a 1/4" thick AL keg.

- ISM NRP

You can cross out that tone test, there's no sound basis for that. ;)
Seriously, that wont tell you anything useful, and as already mentioned there is no C flat, it's called B.

You can cross out that tone test, there's no sound basis for that. ;)
Seriously, that wont tell you anything useful, and as already mentioned there is no C flat, it's called B.

Alright, I agree, it did sound a bit outlandish. I'll cross it out

Latest posts

Back