Fantasy football anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the_bird said:
Hey ablrbrau!

Chiefs coach backs away from total endorsement of GreenBy DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
November 7, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Herman Edwards has been saying for weeks that Trent Green would replace Damon Huard as Kansas City's starting quarterback when he's healthy. The Chiefs coach appeared to back off the subject Tuesday.
"The one thing you can never count out is chemistry on your football team, and that is very important," Edwards said. "At this point, I don't have to make that decision. It will be a decision I'll make."

Green could be back Nov. 19 against Oakland, but Huard's excellent play -- 11 touchdown passes and only one interception in seven starts -- has fans split over who they want as the Chiefs' starter.

Radio talk shows have been abuzz and the Kansas City Star conducted an election-type reader poll Tuesday as to which quarterback should play.

After Huard led the Chiefs to a 31-17 victory over St. Louis on Sunday, Edwards was asked if Green would start when he's recovered from a concussion suffered in the opening game.

"Yes," the coach said, echoing a sentiment he had expressed numerous times.
He said Tuesday that his new stance indicates a possible change of heart.

"No, I'm not waffling. What I don't want to talk about (is) a decision I don't have to make in this point in time because that's not important," he said.

"Trent's not playing this week. Damon Huard is the starting quarterback."

General manager Carl Peterson told reporters to drop the line of questioning.
When they didn't, he laughed nervously.

"This question is ad nauseam," Peterson said.

Huard hadn't started an NFL game for six years when Green, a two-time Pro Bowler who'd made 81 consecutive starts, went down in the season opener Sept. 10 with a severe concussion.

Huard is 5-2 as a starter since with a highly impressive quarterback rating of 105.2, second only to Peyton Manning.

He's completed 131 of 203 passes for 1,623 yards. Working behind a weakened, patchwork offensive line, he has saved Edwards' first season in Kansas City and won over the support of a big segment of fans.

Green, on the other hand, is a five-year starter and team leader.

With Green at the controls, the Chiefs have had one of the NFL's most productive offenses the past five seasons, setting a number of league records. Green had more yards passing (20,117) and touchdowns (111) from 2001-05 than any other NFL quarterback than Manning.

Knocked unconscious and carted off the field on a gurney, Green has been working his way back very slowly. He was in uniform in St. Louis for the first time, but Edwards had said he wouldn't play.

"What I don't want to get caught into ... every week we win a game and every week Trent's out, we're going to keep asking the question," Edwards said. "Well, it's not about Trent right now. It's about the football team. That's all that matters."
Green's agent, Jim Steiner, declined to comment.

Huard has maintained a good-soldier approach, insisting his job is to be a backup. But there can be little doubt that he would love a shot at being the starter for the first time in a career that's seen him play second-fiddle to Dan Marino in Miami and Tom Brady in New England.

"If we were the other way, 3-5, we wouldn't be talking about this," Edwards said. "We'd be saying, `Yeah, when is he coming back? But now, we're winning, and it's, `What are you going to do when he comes back?

"It's a good problem to have. But at the end, the decision I'll make is the chemistry of this football team. Does it affect it, does it help it more?"

Peterson also denied that Edwards was exhibiting a change of heart. "I think his point was, `I don't need to discuss making a decision today that doesn't need to be made today.' That's really what he said. And it's not necessary right now. OK? Obviously, a decision will ultimately be made. It will be his decision."

Bozo's goin all wishy-washy on me now.:mad: OK you've had your I-told-you-so. I'll still hang onto him for now. I'm not too worried about Manning getting hurt anytime soon. What is it, 120-some-odd games in a row? More? If it weren't for Favre he'd have that Iron-Man record already. He'll get that one and a lot more......Cheers:mug: :)

the_bird said:
I'd give you a pair of my RBs not named Willie Mo Parker for one of your stud wideouts, plus Chris Henry (who's actually pretty good when he's not in jail) for WR depth. That would improve you at two or three of your starting positions (depending on how you feel about Henry vs. your other W/R options). I like Jones-Drew, but Fred Taylor still gets the yards that count. Kevin Jones is starting to blow up, and he's playing San Fran (good matchup) next week. I still think Maroney will be starting by the end of the season, and if this were a keeper league NO WAY would he be available (he's going to be DAMN good when all is said and done).

I don't even know if I would do that, but a deal like that COULD be in both of our interests. I'd need to get some of your lesser players back (whoever you'd likely cut). ANy interest in exploring something along those lines?

I can't pull the trigger. I'm going to wollow in my misery and see what comes of it. Seems like every week I lose by 5-10 pts be it 40, or 70. This is why I don't gamble. :(

the_bird said:
That's no fun.

I propose, and this ought to be in the FFB thread, that if someone is unable to bottle their own (or if they have nothing but chocolate and vanilla beer to offer - I'M TALKING TO YOU, P-FUNK! - then a selection of *local* microbrews is acceptable. Something I can't get around here.

From this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16215&page=4

:rockin: Brilliant! I still planned on making & bottling something I prefer not to tap and if it turns out great I'd be proud to share. If it doesn't I think a hard to find for other regions local thing would be a great idea. High quality only though :).

desertBrew said:
High quality only though :).

I think both parties would have to agree on which high quality beers. What makes it high quality may be up for debate. On the other end of the spectrum, there should be a limit, I would say nothing more than $3 per bottle.

todd_k said:
I would say nothing more than $3 per bottle.

Agreed. Not that I'm getting anything anyways unless the losing streak continues but I figured if the commerical option is made available I'd offer up some local flavors that aren't available where the winner(s) are. Those that must pay up should probably provide a short list of offerings to the winners.

I think I'm the only west coaster in the league aren't I...

I would hope we could trust each others' judgment. I'd be likely to ship out Berkshire Brewing Co, or Paper City, or something like that - not Gennessee Cream Ale and passing it off as "Upstate NY's Finest!" Still might be a good idea to PM suggestions, but I trust all of you with my winnings :D

OK guys I wasn't paying close enough attention to the beer aspect of our little FF league, so please bear with me a moment. I know that there is beer at stake here, but exactly who sends beer to whom??? :confused: Is it just the champ of the league? Does everyone send to the champ? I, too, no longer bottle my beer, so I need to know if I need to finally go get that beer gun & stuff. Plus I haven't been brewing much lately so I may need to get some good local stuff. Thanks, guys.

What I proposed and what I believed to have been adopted was:

1. Winner gets three beers from everyone
2. Second place gets two
3. Third place gets one
4. LAST place gets one.

the_bird said:
What I proposed and what I believed to have been adopted was:

1. Winner gets three beers from everyone
2. Second place gets two
3. Third place gets one
4. LAST place gets one.

Works for me.

What does last place get- Red, White and Blue returnables????:)

THAT'S NEXT YEAR'S PRIZE!

Everybody has to go in and buy the winner a bottle of Utopias!

We can still have prizes for second and third place - but man, it even LOOKS like a damn trophy!

Hell, is it too late to make that this year's prize?

first set of scores for today...

screen.jpg

Wow. Uh, D'Bricks, uh, congradulations. Good thing we never bet, eh? I'd be bringing you down some homebrew next weekend.

What's up with my Pats?

the_bird said:
I just saw the Cinci-San Diego box score, as well; were they playing with arena football rules?
That was a crazy game...Cincinnati 28 to 7 at the half, then the Chargers showed up. Philip Rivers is about the only thing NC State fans have to be happy about this year :(

Bird, I was thinking of you all game. Right up till the end I thought it would be the same old Jets and we would blow it. That Cincy game had to have over a thousand yds total O. Same with the Pitt/NO game. Not a good day for the D's

2nd Street Brewery said:
Bird, I was thinking of you all game. Right up till the end I thought it would be the same old Jets and we would blow it. That Cincy game had to have over a thousand yds total O. Same with the Pitt/NO game. Not a good day for the D's

I'm so sick of Pittsburg's D, but I guess I'm not in a position to complain too loudly...

Holy crap, I'm just getting caught up... Willie Moe with 213 yrds, two scores... Colston had another 170 yards... Chad Johnson with 260 yds, two scores... even Fitzgerald had 80 yards on one leg.

MAN, what a week!

And Athletic Jews... are you allowed to say things like "Christ Almight!" and "Jesus!"?

todd_k said:
My Bears are looking like crap. Could be a long night. :mad:

Brutal - the next 3 games are gonna be like this. What happened to the offense? NOBODY can hang on to the ball!

rdwj said:
Brutal - the next 3 games are gonna be like this. What happened to the offense? NOBODY can hang on to the ball!

Exactly, Grossman's stats look horrible but guys keep dropping balls. They should stick to the hurry-up offense in the 2nd half. Grossman looked so much better on that last drive of the first half.

todd_k said:
Exactly, Grossman's stats look horrible but guys keep dropping balls. They should stick to the hurry-up offense in the 2nd half. Grossman looked so much better on that last drive of the first half.

And the offensive line isn't giving him much time either. More hurry-up, more shotgun! Give the kid a chance!!

They said that tonight was the first time all year they used the shotgun. Maybe they could also learn how to not fumble. That would be nice.

Wow! Longest play in NFL history. It's a good thing he realized that was a live ball. Didn't Ray Lewis do that a couple years ago?

Dammit, Grossman's got three TDs. P-Funk's only got what, forty or so more points to make up?

Looks like he'll still be in first place - but just by points - and I'm breathing down his neck - and my breath is REALLY, really bad...

Vasher also had a 108 yd TD return last season for the Bears but I'm not sure if that was a missed FG try or an INT. I want to say Ray Lewis did it against Denver.

EDIT: it wasn't Lewis, they just said it was Chris McCalister.

Dudes....I watched my first football games in High Definition yesterday. OMG. It is totally amazing.

I can't believe I waited so long.

100 inch screen in HD in the Packer shrine. Does life get any better than that?
BTW, regarding the Packer shrine, pics to come soon. I think you'll like. :D

I'm kicking myself for having benched Kevan Barlow this weekend. He just hadn't been producing too much this year, so I sat him down and tried something else.

Then, the son-of-a-***** decides to wake up and have a banner day.

I missed out on 9 points because of this.

edit: I've got my DEF, K, and one WR left in the game tonight.... and I'm losing by 37 points. I'm hoping the Panther's are demons on the turf tonight.

Walker-san said:
I'm kicking myself for having benched Kevan Barlow this weekend. He just hadn't been producing too much this year, so I sat him down and tried something else.

edit: I've got my DEF, K, and one WR left in the game tonight.... and I'm losing by 37 points. I'm hoping the Panther's are demons on the turf tonight.

Me too- I need 21 points outta Foster:(

ablrbrau said:
Me too- I need 21 points outta Foster:(

I kinda hope he gets it but I doubt it, not if Williams is playing too. Winning this game isn't going to get me any homebrew!

Walker-san said:

Tell me about it. I bench Cotcherty and put Furrey in instead because Furrey is playing SF and they kinda suck. Welll... Furrey doesn't do squat and Cotcherty gets 9 pts.

And then Clinton Portis breaks his hand! And Frank Gore has a concussion...

There go the playoffs for the Puppies... ;) :cross:

Who's D'Bricks again that I'm playing this week? We have an interesting matchup hinging on tonight. You got Delhomme and I got Smith. You're up by one at 53-52. TD's are a wash; I need yards to Smith and no other WR. Grrr, I'm going to lose again I suspect and the streak continues. Smith needs to get back on Special Teams!!

Thanks Marvin for the 1 pt yesterday.:rolleyes:

I was looking at our match up this morning DB. I think i'll take a couple of TD to Meshawn and just use Smith as a decoy. At least I don't have to be embarassed like I was last week. Had a big lead over the splitters and then Oakland got sacked out of existance to beat me. Hell I started Mike Bell over Washington for the Jets since he had over 100 yds last week and was playing Oakland this week. Then the SOB din't even get a touch this week.

Wow. I was just looking at the standings. What a logjam for 3rd and 4th place!

Potentially we have two playoff spots up for bids for 11 teams, with 4 weeks left.

Some of us need miracles, but I've seen stranger things happen!!!!!

2nd Street Brewery said:
I was looking at our match up this morning DB. I think i'll take a couple of TD to Meshawn and just use Smith as a decoy.

I already got 1 decoy on my roster named Reggie Bush. He did "finally" get me a rushing touchdown this week though. Yipee. It's coming down to the pups and the gnat's for the can's of Old Style.

Back