Fantasy football anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was up at FedEx Field last season for the Raider game. It was the loudest place I have ever been to, including Yankee Stadium a few years ago during the playoffs.

todd_k said:
It was the loudest place I have ever been to, including Yankee Stadium a few years ago during the playoffs.

That's why I miss old Chicago Stadium - especially for hockey. That place was LOUD. The fans were all right on top of the floor, started cheering with the national anthem and never stopped. Opposing players consistently called it the most intimidating building they've ever played in - both basketball and hockey.

But, they knocked it down and the owner of the Blackhawks has sucked the life out of what used to be a rabid fanbase. ...and I'm not even a hockey fan.

rdwj said:
That's why I miss old Chicago Stadium - especially for hockey. That place was LOUD. The fans were all right on top of the floor, started cheering with the national anthem and never stopped. Opposing players consistently called it the most intimidating building they've ever played in - both basketball and hockey.

But, they knocked it down and the owner of the Blackhawks has sucked the life out of what used to be a rabid fanbase. ...and I'm not even a hockey fan.

You aren't kidding. I was in that building tons of times, in fact I still have a brick from when they tore it down. All of those old buildings with character--gone. Maple Leaf Gardens, The Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium.

I used to be a fierce Hawks fan--but Dollar Bill has spoiled it for me.

I'll never forget the anthem--Wayne Messmer--in 1991 at the NHL All-Star game. Wasn't a dry eye in the house. I wasn't there (watched it on TV), but I knew exactly what those people felt like. Loved that old building. That was hockey.

the_bird said:
Hopefully the Cards give you a decent game. Personally, I can't think of a team I would be *less* excited to see than Arizona (although it's still damn cool just to go to the game). Maybe Tennessee.

My wife and I always talk about going to a Bills games, but then we forget until it's too late in the season to buy tix (and the games versus the Pats ALWAYS sell out quickly).

Is the waiting list for Pack season tickets still like twenty five or thirty years?

I put my son on the list the day he was born. He's ten now. He just got a letter in the mail from the Packer ticket office that he is now something like 19,500 on the list. Maybe my great-great-great grandchildren will have tickets......:(

Um, Dude, your friends have any more tix available???????? I knw, but it's worth a shot.:)

I'm about to make a command decision and update the rosters for these deadbeat teams. It isn't fair for someone to get a freebie win because some one didn't change their roster after they committed to play.

So....who has a problem with me changing the rosters so at least they have players? And why do you have a problem with it? just curious....I'll listen to reasoning here.

If you can find a way to have someone take over a dead team I will do it. Used to do a lot of fantasy stuff, but have been taking a break. As this is brewing and gaming, whatever.

I say don't update the rosters. Why should someone be able to take half the season off and then decide to show up and say "Look! My team is in the playoffs and I didn't have to do a damn thing all season! Oh yeah, and you all owe me some homebrew too even though I let Dude do all the work!"

It's not fair to the rest of us who may not have the best team in the league but still try to compete every week.

What we *could* do....

PM/ email both players. Tell them if we don't hear back from them by Friday, Dude is going to take over their teams and that they will therefore be ineligible for the homebrew prizes. That addresses Dude's concerns about two of our teams having an unfair advantage each week (ask Walker how that worked out for him last week, though :D), and doesn't reward them for neglecting their teams.

Give them until Friday night to confirm that they want to be in or out; no word, they have forfeited.

todd_k said:
I say don't update the rosters. Why should someone be able to take half the season off and then decide to show up and say "Look! My team is in the playoffs and I didn't have to do a damn thing all season! Oh yeah, and you all owe me some homebrew too even though I let Dude do all the work!"

It's not fair to the rest of us who may not have the best team in the league but still try to compete every week.

It also isn't fair to the teams that aren't going to get a freebie win, like some others did. Those guys who have played against the deadbeat team already this season may already have a jump on the rest of us. I know it can't be corrected, but we can put an end to it immediately and make EVERY week competitive from here on out.

I say update the rosters.

the_bird said:
What we *could* do....

PM/ email both players. Tell them if we don't hear back from them by Friday, Dude is going to take over their teams and that they will therefore be ineligible for the homebrew prizes. That addresses Dude's concerns about two of our teams having an unfair advantage each week (ask Walker how that worked out for him last week, though :D), and doesn't reward them for neglecting their teams.

Give them until Friday night to confirm that they want to be in or out; no word, they have forfeited.

Well, essentially I already did that. I posted a new commisioner's note, posted here, and also sent them a PM and an e-mail to the e-mail addy they have on file here. Essentially I said the same thing to them that you just suggested.

I can't get into the league from here (at work) but I believe the new commisioner's note says I will take over thier teams if they don't update them this weekend.

I don't know how that would work....

Maybe we should agree to lock those teams out from transacations with other teams--that way no fighting that I did something unfair.

If they have a bye week with more than one empty slot, I would do the best I could to pick up a stop gap for the team. I'd consult with everyone on here before I did it--just to make sure it is kosher. I dunno.

the_bird said:
Well, craps, now you're making it personal against me! WTF?!

That isn't it at all...I just want it to be fair. For example, let's say I take over control this week and next week I get 5 trade requests for the same guy? What do I do?
I say we just lock out those teams from trades, and just update them enough to get through the season. Just my thinking out loud here....

Dude said:
Then used the damned TEAL text.

GEEZ, nOOb.

:p

Wait a minute? teal text means you're joking? I thought that had to do with the Homeland Security color-coded warning system. :D I just use the smiley.

Dude said:
Got my Packer tickets today!!!!! YES!!!!!!!

Sunday October 29th, Packers vs. Cardinals.

Section 126, Row 18, Seats 22 & 23.

YES!!!!

:ban: :ban:

And all the AZ/GB dudes about me bowed out including me! Bunch of wooses (how do you spell woozes anyway?). Life got in the way for me. I will be in Hampton 10/31 - 11/05 however....

Probably the only issue of note that I have with how the league is set up is that there are so few decent players available as free agents to be picked up. Cutting back two teams will obviously help on that front.

I do like having the WR/RB "swing" position (I know some people wanted to drop it). It gives a lot more flexibility to how to structure your roster; early in the year, I was deep at WR with Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson, and Driver, now I'm deep at RB with Fred Taylor'a Groin, Willie Mo Parker, and Maroney. It also makes handling the bye weeks a bit easier.

The live draft was the one thing that would have been cool - as long as those who would have to call in are still invited to play... hard to justify a road trip to VA to have a football draft and some beers :D

the_bird said:
Probably the only issue of note that I have with how the league is set up is that there are so few decent players available as free agents to be picked up. Cutting back two teams will obviously help on that front.

I do like having the WR/RB "swing" position (I know some people wanted to drop it). It gives a lot more flexibility to how to structure your roster; early in the year, I was deep at WR with Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson, and Driver, now I'm deep at RB with Fred Taylor'a Groin, Willie Mo Parker, and Maroney. It also makes handling the bye weeks a bit easier.

The live draft was the one thing that would have been cool - as long as those who would have to call in are still invited to play... hard to justify a road trip to VA to have a football draft and some beers :D

Yeah, I agree on the FA thing where you can't get any good players. We could even eliminate a bench spot next year and get more. It'll make hording of players less difficult, and it might get hard to squeeze in some bye weeks, but ultimately it makes it more fun.

As far as a live draft--we can totally do it all on the yahoo FFB page. It has a built in chat function and each team has a minute and a half to pick a player. It goes quickly, and it is really fun because you can talk smack to each other during that. You can queue up players and even leave to take a piss or something and in case you take too long, it'll automatically draft the player(s) you queued before you left.

This year in another league I'm in, we had 6 people in our dining room drafting all at the same time on laptops (wireless connection). It was a blast.

:mug:

Dude, I'd have to look back in the HBT archives but I thought you were out of town last year I was out there and you were at a GBP game. perhaps not. I'll PM you when it firms up.

desertBrew said:
Dude, I'd have to look back in the HBT archives but I thought you were out of town last year I was out there and you were at a GBP game. perhaps not. I'll PM you when it firms up.

That is the truth. We saw the Pack crush the Saints 52-3. :mug:

I don't even want to see my score. I have 2 guys on the Bills and Bledsoe - UGLY!!

Wish I would have started the Eagles D. Man they put up points today

I don't think I did too bad but I'm playing against 3 bears :(. I was in the MKE airport this morning and did one last quick check on Viniatari at 9a and he was probable. I get home and he didn't f'ing play again. That's two weeks in a row I got hosed by that a-hole. :mad:

You know, I picked up Leftwich earlier this week, but decided to start Pennington instead. Cripes, last I looked, I think Chad was -12 points or some ****.

Chin up, Bruschi, you seem to have skated by him. Which means, of course, that I have to CONTINUE to worry about whether I win or lose next week... sigh.

Also I need to assure that Plummer doesn't somehow grab 30 points tomorrow night.

<Places a phone call>

Done... and done.

Back