False bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markalanbrown

Reaction score
What would be the advantages to having a false bottom inside of a pot with a thermometer and a ball valve?
What can I do with that pot that I can’t do with my current pot with no false bottom, thermometer, or ball valve.

The most traditional use is to add grains to the pot directly to use as a mash tun. Although some use it with brew in a bag to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot or the electric element so it doesn't burn while heating.

I assume you are currently using extracts exclusively? If so, and you have no plans to beginning all grain brewing, the false bottom wouldn’t buy you much of anything. The thermometer and ball valve are simply convenience items. Instead of worrying with a thermometer dropping in the pot or on the ground and needing cleaned and sanitized during chilling, it’s simply always there. No muss no fuss. Same thing for the ball valve, in that you don’t need the siphon to transfer to the fermenter. Of course I’ll warn you up front that a ball valve also means a pump for whirlpooling is not far off. Of course since you now have a pump, you might as well get a false bottom and a bag for BIAB all grain batches........... list continues until your family either think you’ve lost your mind or you should open a brewery out of your garage. All because you got tired of sanitizing an auto siphon and a thermometer. Ok, may that’s just me, but now you can’t say you haven’t been warned.

Without explaining what your goals are and what your brewing process currently is, anything we say is full of speculation. A thermometer measures temperature (you may not need to know temperature). A ball valve is a way to drain the wort out (you may not need that if you chill down your wort in the kettle and pour it out or if you use a siphon over the top). A false bottom is to turn a kettle into a dedicated mash tun for all grain brewing (you may not be brewing all grain).

Latest posts

Back