False Bottom and FB stand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacksSpleen

Reaction score
First thanks everybody for all the great info. I have stolen all of my ideas for this build from you guys :).

I'm in the process of building a single tier stand after acquiring a couple kegs for my MLT and HLT. So with my tube order I added in a sheet of 12 X 24 perforated SS with the hopes that I could get a hinged 15 inch diameter false bottom out of it. The sheet cost about 30 bucks after a couple of coupon codes at online metals. Luckily for me I'm in Seattle so there were no shipping costs.

I cut the first half of the circle with my dremel instead of my grinder as I felt I might have a little better control over the cut. To my suprise the 12" left over piece matched up perfectly.

IMAG0197.jpg

I ordered a SS polished hinge from amazon for about 11 bucks and I had to trim off about 2 inches.

IMAG0199.jpg

With the left over sheet material I cut 2 strips at about 1 ½ inches wide by 12 inches long for the FB stand. (I borrowed the idea from NoCals filter stand.) It ended up making about a 7 in diameter stand. I fastened the hinge and stand together with #8/32 SS screws and nuts I picked up from Lowes for about 8 bucks in all.

IMAG0206.jpg

Now I just need to clean the edges and smooth it out… but it fits pretty darn good as it is! (I sanded some of the high spots and it fits a little better now than in the picture) Now I’m just waiting on my dip tube before I drill the center hole…

IMAG0207.jpg

So all said and done I’m into this for about 50 bucks in material, I had the cut off wheels and sanding pads already lying around… I plan to test it out this weekend.

Hi

The next trick is making sure the drain is below the false bottom *and* that you don't leave to much "good stuff" behind when it stops draining...

Bob

Yeah I hope the center pickup tube I ordered from bargain fittings is going to work. I went ahead and made all this stuff without all the pieces in hand. I hope I don't regret it.

Back