Fall growth worth cultivating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwrflpills

Reaction score
I live in South Florida (north Broward County) and have hops growing in containers - 1 cascade, 1 centennial. I planted them last March and they were producing cones on 10-18' bines by June.

The bines gradually declined towards late summer and had minor sidearm growth with undersized leaves up until I cut it all off about a week ago. What I hadn't noticed is that they had started to produce a siginificant number of new bine shoots with normal looking/sized leaves that are coming out of the soil. Some of these are already over 2 long.

I realize that probably no one has any real experience with growing hops in So. Fla, but in the bigger picture, is Fall bine growth common and is it something I should cultivate? Winter is the growing season down here, so I'm interested to see what happens. But if Fall growth is known to be junk, I don't want to waste my time building a new trellis, which I need to do for next year anyway.

Here's some pics.

That's what my Chinook looks like but larger, and I'm in IL. I said this in another post, I'm over it. On to other projects. If I got out 3 or 4 foot plant I'll start to scratch my head and ask if hell froze over, but right now it's just a minor blimp on my radar.

Brew this years fresh hops is my 'thing to do'.

Latest posts

Back