Failed to whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PintsLow

Reaction score
Last night I failed to whirlfloc an IPA I was brewing up. Other than a hazy beer, is there anything else that could be affected by not whirlflocing (sp?) I am just hoping I didnt completly blow what I feel would turn out to be a darn good brew.

You will be fine. It wont wreck anything. I seem to forget to put one in about half the time. You could use gelatin to clear it, or cold crash if your worried but it will still be good beer.

You will be fine. It wont wreck anything. I seem to forget to put one in about half the time. You could use gelatin to clear it, or cold crash if your worried but it will still be good beer.

On my first 5-6 brews I didn't use anything for clearing the beer. 2 of them I left in primary for 2 weeks and secondary for one and those were clear. The other 2 were in primary for 3 and bottled. Almost the same results. I have really liked them all and as good as most commercial beers.

I have been using Irish Moss recently and honestly I don't really notice a difference.

Cold crashing or gelatin are options.

Right on guys, thank you for the feedback. I feel much better knowing that I didnt completly blow it. Cold Crashing doesnt seem like it would be too hard to do, I think I may give that a shot when the time comes.

Irish moss/whilfloc help with getting the cold break. Depending on how you chilled the wort, you could have benefited from it, or you might not have.

Either way, depending on the yeast you used, you could just let it go a few more weeks in primary before you bottle/keg it. I've had great results from going at least three weeks in primary (most of the time, at least four weeks). I even dry hop there (personal choice, you can rack if you really want to).

I've yet to see any need to either cold crash, or use any [post boil] fining agents in any of my brews. But, I also tend to use yeasts that are rated either high, or very high for flocculation. The extra time also makes the yeast cake more compact, which makes it easier to transfer to keg. Especially if I give it a bit more time.

Chances are if you cold crash it before bottling or kegging you won't be able to tell the difference.

Thanks again everyone. My man cave is filled with the joyful smell of fermenting wort... I cant keep my nose away from the airlock, smells so dang good!

Back