Fabric Pots for Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Romano

Reaction score
Hello!

I called a local hydroponics store and they suggested growing hops in fabric pots. Unfortunately I need to grow these in a pot since our soil is extremely shallow And we are on a rock bed.

Advantages? Disadvantages?

Has anyone tried this method and can you share your experience?

Thank you so much for your input!

Personally, I find porous pots (fiber/fabric) transpirate too much, forcing too much watering.

It is said black plastic pots heat the roots too much... prefferable to pots drying out five times a day, if you ask me.

Maybe @applescrap can chime in on this. I know he uses a lot of fabric pots for non-hops.

HERE is a BYO article about growing hops in containers, but it doesn't talk about fabric.

HERE is an article about growing hops using Self-Irrigating Pots (SIP), which I would think you would have to do if you go with the fabric pot, as they would dry out too quickly otherwise.

Last edited:
I really like the grow bags for all kinds of plants. I have some hops in 30 and some in 20 gallon bags. Easy to move around if needed, keep the roots from circling/girdling the pot, and drain well.

Thanks a lot guys. Watering is going to be a pain, but I am hopeful it is an every other day thing. Even once a day indent going to kill me.

ong- I opted for 25 gallon fabric pots. Planning on transplanting to the fabric during the July 4th holiday. How often do you water? And how much per pot/ watering session. It probably varies a lot based on weather and age of plant, etc. mine are first year plants. I think I am going to need two 3 gallon watering cans as my hose is a pain to wind up.

I plan on storing in the garage in the winter.

blend - good idea. maybe I can do those cement mixing tubs? I am going to do a “swing set” trellis. 3 pots on each side. Question is, do they make the tubs in the correct size. I think pots are 22” wide. And r there any drawbacks to having them sit in water? And will this totally eliminate “conventional “ watering? I will look into this but hoping you could give some insight. Thanks

I haven't done it myself yet. I've just been admiring @applescrap 's garden for a while. I know it requires a particular potting soil blend to get it to wick the water up correctly though.

ong- I opted for 25 gallon fabric pots. Planning on transplanting to the fabric during the July 4th holiday. How often do you water? And how much per pot/ watering session. It probably varies a lot based on weather and age of plant, etc. mine are first year plants. I think I am going to need two 3 gallon watering cans as my hose is a pain to wind up.

I just have mine on drip lines set to run every morning or every other morning at 6, but I do have a pretty extensive garden that would be kind of a pain to hand-water every day. I think the natural tendency is to overwater — watering a bit less encourages plants to put out deeper and stronger roots.

I found some plastic mixing tubs that will accommodate the 25 gallon fabric pots. Do you think this "SIP" approach is worth exploring and possibly pursuing? I can talk to my local hydroponics guy and do some research. All of this is so new to me. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks to all and to bleme for the idea!

I just have mine on drip lines set to run every morning or every other morning at 6, but I do have a pretty extensive garden that would be kind of a pain to hand-water every day. I think the natural tendency is to overwater — watering a bit less encourages plants to put out deeper and stronger roots.

You’re better off setting it to water in the evening- gives it all night to soak in without evaporating. Less frequent but heavy is a good general rule when watering, a frequent bit of a sprinkle does no real good.

Hi All,

I thought I would post my hop trellis with fabric pots set up. Hope all goes well. I got a real late start, so not expecting much this year. I am just going to keep the hose close by until I can get a water collection system in place.

Northern_Brewer: New to gardening/growing. Any watering tips for these huge 25 gallon pots (frequency, amount, etc.).... the soil never seems to be dry, but I imagine I would want to water twice a week during dry spells.
IMG_5688[1].JPG

Thanks

Here are mine. This is a temporary location, as I will be growing more plants in the next season. So, I will be putting up proper poles and adding about 18 more plants. to have 20 in total..
I had 3, but my GSD pup decided he liked the Goldings better... So, he dug it up...

Attachments

• IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3877.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
Hi All,

I thought I would post my hop trellis with fabric pots set up. Hope all goes well. I got a real late start, so not expecting much this year. I am just going to keep the hose close by until I can get a water collection system in place.

Northern_Brewer: New to gardening/growing. Any watering tips for these huge 25 gallon pots (frequency, amount, etc.).... the soil never seems to be dry, but I imagine I would want to water twice a week during dry spells.View attachment 578939

Thanks
Jim, I'm curious to know how your hops have faired in the fabric pots the last few years. I need to move my hops to another part of the yard this fall and I am considering using fabric pots. Please let us know. Thanks.

Back