Extremely New Newbie from NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adejesus

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am in the process getting together all my supplies to start home brewing. I was planning to start in a week or so using a Mr. Beer kit, but after going to my local Home Brew shop and talking to the one of the people there for almost and hour I realized getting a true 5 gallon beer kit to do it is the smarter way of doing. This will take me some time to accumulate all my supplies kit, stock pot, 2 cases of bottles, beer kit. I feel piece-milling my supplies allow me time to do further research on brewing. I do have one question what is a good size stock pot to start with I keep seeing a lot of 20 qt and 30 qt but not sure what to get. Yesterday I say a Cooks Corner 20 qt stock pot for $12.99 it was stainless steel but not if the quailty or size would be ok for brewing 5 gallons of beer. The way I take it is that you use 20 qt if you do your basic wort in the stock pot and add the rest of the water to bring it to 5 gallons in the fermenting bucket and if you use a 30 qt if you cook your whole 5 gallons off on the stove. Is this correct? Any suggestions on a pot or if I would be ok to buy the $12.99 stock pot I saw yesterday that would be great.

You don't say what your source of heat is going to be, but the size pot you buy should be influenced by your ability to bring that amount of liquid to a good, roiling boil. If not, I would absolutely go for the $12.99 pot. It's inexpensive, so you don't have to spend a fortune until you are sure you are going to enjoy it (which you will).

Maybe some others can chime in, but I'm concerned that your kitchen stove may not be able to bring 5 gallons to a boil. I'd opt for the smaller pot.

I would try the 12.99 stock pot first. It's tough to get 5 gallons boiling on a kitchen stove. Then there is the issue of cooling all that hot wort. When I brewed in the kitchen I opted for partial boils and topping up with cold, sanitized water to reach my desired capacity. Makes heating it up and cooling it down easier.

Thanks a lot guys. So I just want to make sure I am getting it correct. When I go to make my brew in my kitchen I should do the 1 gallon/wart mixture on the stove after that is finished place the wart into my fermenter bucket then top off the rest of the 5 gallons with cold water in the bucket? Do you guys use tap water or gallons of spring water?

Thanks a lot guys. So I just want to make sure I am getting it correct. When I go to make my brew in my kitchen I should do the 1 gallon/wart mixture on the stove after that is finished place the wart into my fermenter bucket then top off the rest of the 5 gallons with cold water in the bucket? Do you guys use tap water or gallons of spring water?

That is correct. I used to use tap water without a problem, although spring water is probably more likely to be bacteria free.

+1 ^^
I put a couple gallons in the fridge to chill the top off water. To save $$ I use my tap (with Pur filter) for the boil and bottled for the top off.
It took a while for my range to get to a boil.
Also, for cooling down the wort (without an IC) I freeze reused water/soda bottles then use them in an ice bath. They're reusable & I can rotate them until pitch time.
Good Luck!
Sarah.
PS: Start planning batch #2!!!

I use Northern Brewer extract kits and a 20qt aluminum pot on my glass top stove. Their recipes do 2.5 gallon boils. I have no problem heating the wort. I filter my water with a Brita filter and have made good beer. I cool with ice in my kitchen sink. I have done one partial mash brew that boiled 3 gallons of wort, also no problem.

I also, would suggest getting started on #2 asap. I bought a second Better Bottle for primary fermenting.

My #1 recommendation is to watch your temperatures, especially at the beginning of fermentation. Check into "swamp coolers".

Back