Extreme Stomach Pain...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILurvTheWhiskey

Reaction score
Holy God. Let me tell you. People who talk crap about Hooch or Swill are people who should be listened too.

I went to a friends house who has recently concocted an alco-base using sugar, water and liquor-quick. After ABV hit 20%, he cleared and racked and then mixed it with some flavoring (hazelnut coffee or something, cream, milk and sugar).

Anyway, his wife wasn't home so we figured we'd make an evening of 'experimenting' with this creation. So we drank some. And it wasn't *that* bad.

It tasted like coffee liquor, if you took beef blood and protein powder and mixed it with it. It was drinkable.

We had about maybe a couple cups each, about thirty minutes later, and were just starting to enjoy our buzz when all hell broke loose.

I felt like somebody had taken a metal poker, blow torched it and shoved up into my belly. And then twisted. Just intense pain. About thirty minutes later we were both blowing chunks, me in his kitchen sink, him in his bathroom.

I'm still nauseated, but alive and confused. I can not for the life of me think of what might have caused this. Brewing beer for a while, I know that most bacteria can't live at normal 'beer abv', and something at 20% would nuke almost anything. The dude at the home brew store, and on the back of his package, says that this yeast/nutrient package is made specially for this application. But something went wrong. Terribly wrong.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Dude, those distilling yeasts leave all kinds of crap in the must. They're meant for distilling, even though distilling is illegal selling accessories for it is not. Did your 'friend' ;) ;) have any of the same stomach holocaust that you did?

Distilling yeasts produce methanol and heavier alcohols, many of which are poisonous. Distilling removes those, if it is done correctly.

EvilTOG, that term, stomach holocaust, is probably one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. Both of us were sick. I ended up on his floor in his living room, him on the couch with fire in our guts.

Also, one thing that I'm confused about is his package specifically said great for making high alcohol beverages without distilling.

The funniest thing is that this was his first thing he's ever made. I hope it didn't scare him away from the hobby, haha. I'm going to show him how to make some beers or some other respectable beverages.

BTW, I feel 100% better now. Still have the after taste of beef blood in my mouth though.

just a thought. you said it was mixed with some cream and milk. maybe it didn't like the alcohol and curdled? I dunno. either way, glad you are feeling better.

nope it has nothing to do witht he achohal and the low wines produced, you would have had to drink more then a couple of cups.... your problem was the added sugar... 20% abv was already hitting your blood stream, then you added the cream(which is a heavy biological with sugar in it) and the sugar... basically it curtled in your stomic and produced an inflated your stomic with gasses (that was the pain)... you blew chucnks because of the added pressure on your stomic lining.... another problem is the sugar you added caused you to processed the achohal very very quickly... you felt sick because of the Achohal and the pukeing dehydrated you... next time your friend makes hooch he should use champagne yeast of somthing which doesnt leave so many free floating... eythal acetate, methonal, etc... other then that dont mix such things.... yo
u might want to try another way of making coffe liquor

Cheers

Probably good you threw up.

How are you seeing today? Give a realistic assesment--stand at the distance you could normally just barely read the VCR clock. Can you still read it?

Haha - Very good point, but everything's a-ok. I think next time somebody starts a hooch thread, we should point them back to this.

Haha - Very good point, but everything's a-ok. I think next time somebody starts a hooch thread, we should point them back to this.

Here is what you do.

Take the rest and slowly heat to 173 degrees in a sealed pot letting the steam collect in a copper tube running every gently downhill. Lie on your back and collect the drops in you mouth. There will be no evidence other than the god-awful hang-over you'll have the next day.

Back