Extract With Specialty Grain HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
I have only brewed using DME and hops, I want to add Specialtly grains.

My questions is, I use an outdoor propain burner and large 20gl pot. Can I use specialty grails with this set up? Only 1 Pot? Please let me know I dont want to purchase an extra pot if I do not need to.

I would be brewing 10 gl full boil batches.

Of course. Extract with grains is the same process as a normal extract beer, but you "steep" the grains before boiling the water. You'll need to put the grains in a bag and let the sit in the pot while the water is at 150-160. Keep the grains at that temp for about 30 minutes and then remove the bag (don't squeeze it) and start your boil as usual.

Sure thing! All you need to do is get a grain bag, fill it with your specialty grains, and steep it in your brew kettle at about 150-160*F for about a half hour. Once that's done, simply pull the grain bag out, bring the wort to a boil and add your extract and hops as usual. No extra hardware needed!

One of my favorite parts of the brew day is steeping the specialty grains. It smells gooood.

Dog cookies? Put your spent grains in a quickbread and eat them yourself. I take a cornbread recipe and substitute spent steeping grains for the cornmeal. Easy to make and tastes amazing.

You can definitely do a 1 pot steep. But you shouldn't steep the grains in the full volume you're going to boil. A proper steep depends on the ph of the water. Much like in a mash, even though it's not as critical in a steep, you want to keep the ph low. If you steep 1# of grains in 5gal of water you will have a very high ph and may extract tannins at even a very low steep temperature. The general rule I use is 1-3qts of water per pound of steeping grains at 150-170 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

With such a small quantity of water for steeping you probably have a small pot around the house that you can use to steep your grains on the stove at the same time that your brewing liquor is heating up on the propane burner. Another way to save some time in your brewday.

You can definitely do a 1 pot steep. But you shouldn't steep the grains in the full volume you're going to boil. A proper steep depends on the ph of the water. Much like in a mash, even though it's not as critical in a steep, you want to keep the ph low. If you steep 1# of grains in 5gal of water you will have a very high ph and may extract tannins at even a very low steep temperature. The general rule I use is 1-3qts of water per pound of steeping grains at 150-170 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

With such a small quantity of water for steeping you probably have a small pot around the house that you can use to steep your grains on the stove at the same time that your brewing liquor is heating up on the propane burner. Another way to save some time in your brewday.

While doing it this way may be optimal, it is not necessary for your first time. Specialty grains do not have the diastatic power to convert starches to sugars anyway so the pH is not that important.

Ok well Ill steep in something like 6-7 gal, then add the rest of the water and bring to a boil at which point ill start the 60 min boil.

It probably isn't necessary but it will save a good amount of time since you can heat up your boil water while steeping. Cuts a really big chunk of time off especially if you are brewing on a stove.

While doing it this way may be optimal, it is not necessary for your first time. Specialty grains do not have the diastatic power to convert starches to sugars anyway so the pH is not that important.

You're correct, exact ph and temp aren't as important since you aren't mashing. There's certainly no need to measure the ph and make water adjustments. But, tannin extraction is a function of temp & ph, and steeping 1# of grains in 6 gallons of water is going to give you a ph probably well over 6, which means your water will be more than 10 times as alkaline as it should be. So, if you want to reduce the risk of astringency from tannins, while saving some time in your brewday, just use a small amount of water and do it on your stovetop. Win/win situation.

The technique that I've heard from people like John Palmer and Chris Colby on BBR was something to the effect of 1-3qts water/# grain. Not saying there isn't another way, but it works great for me. The fact that it saves 20-30 minutes of my time makes it even better.

Good luck and happy brewing.

The problem is I do not any other pot then my brew pot of a substantial size. What is the smallest pot you think I could get away with on an electric stove top? Im sure 1# of grain must displace a lot of water...

Probably about 4 quarts. I want to say that a pound of grains is about 3-4 cups of volume. You are not boiling so you really don't need a lot of headspace.

The problem is I do not any other pot then my brew pot of a substantial size. What is the smallest pot you think I could get away with on an electric stove top? Im sure 1# of grain must displace a lot of water...
According to Promash, each lb grain (when fully wetted) takes up 0.32 qt of volume, so 2 lbs grain in 3 qt water would need 3.64 qt.

-a.

Ok well I would like someone to speak who has actually done this, I dont want theory lol

Sure this pot could hold the volume but is it reasonable to work with?

Ok I do have one pot that is 6-7 litre is size. Would this be good enough to do roughly 2lbs max of grain in?

Ok well I would like someone to speak who has actually done this, I dont want theory lol

Sure this pot could hold the volume but is it reasonable to work with?

Ok I do have one pot that is 6-7 litre is size. Would this be good enough to do roughly 2lbs max of grain in?

I don't know for sure since I don't have one pot that is 6-7 liter size- all I can give you is theory.

If that's good enough, then yes. You could put two pounds of grain and 3 quarts of water in a 7 liter pot.

Thanks Again Yooper. If you had a quarter for everytime you helped me out well hell you would be sum richer :)

Back