Extract Recipe with Specialty Grains Yield Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootney

Reaction score
Now I’ve read that if you only do a partial boil it will affect the hop yield, but when it comes to steeping specialty grains I’ve read that there are better results with doing 2.5 gallon steep as opposed to a 5 gallon steep. Any insight on this?

Now I’ve read that if you only do a partial boil it will affect the hop yield, but when it comes to steeping specialty grains I’ve read that there are better results with doing 2.5 gallon steep as opposed to a 5 gallon steep. Any insight on this?

When you are steeping, you are only after a few qualities such as flavor and possibly head retention or what not- so really it wouldn't matter whether it was 2 gallons or 5 gallons. IF anything, the more dilute the mixture, the more chance of extracting tannins from the grains and causing astringency. But overall, I cannot fathom why anyone would even want steep with 5 gallons when 2 will do the job just fine. If you are worried about hop utilization, then steep with 2 gallons, then top off to your boil volume and then add your hops after it comes to a boil.

It could be pH dependent, but your typical steeping grains are already (at least mostly) converted so I wouldnt think it'd matter. However, like BigB said, with more dilution you risk tannin extraction, so better off using less.

Understood, so the reason to steep with less grains would be due to avoid tannin extraction. I typically steep the grains in 2.5 gallons of water as soon as I turn on the fire and steep until the water temp hits 170 degrees. The problem I've run into is that my first couple of batches are lacking in terms of flavor. I was wondering if the fact that I was steeping at 2.5 and then bringing it to 5 gallons was diluting the flavor. For example, I'm making a cup of tea and then adding another cup of water to that same tea thus diluting the flavor.

I typically steep the grains in 2.5 gallons of water as soon as I turn on the fire and steep until the water temp hits 170 degrees.

I think you should be waiting until the water gets to 170 THEN steep the grains.
I let my water get to about 150, before I start steeping, then I let them steep for about 25min. This is what AustinHomebrew suggests.

Seven,

I'll go that route and see if that helps improve my batches. Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've read a few things where either you bring the water to temp, then steep between 155-165 (John Palmer) and to bring water to warm, add grain, bring to 170 and let steep.

I recently did the Palmer method with my Caramel 60L and kept it around 160 (using electronic food probe), but after in my ferement fridge, it was showing 20 degrees warmer than actual... So, make sure you use a good thermometer like a turkey fryer metal one

so I'm not sure if it makes a difference with specialty grains, but if you spend too much time in the protein rest stage (113-131F) with modified malts it can cause your brew to become thin and water. its more of a problem with AG, but its possible its happening to a lesser degree in your brews. I'd just bring up the temp to 150-160 and then steep the grains for 30mins

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you steep, should you bring it up to temp and then kill the heat, or do you maintain the 150-160 degree temp throughout the steeping time frame?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you steep, should you bring it up to temp and then kill the heat, or do you maintain the 150-160 degree temp throughout the steeping time frame?

I have made ~15-20 extract batches and I always put the grain in at the beginnig (at the same time) as I turn on the heat. I remove the grains before it reaches 170.

Also - I steep in the full 6.5 gallons of water AND I squeeze the bag. (another debate seen on this forum with no evidence for either way)

IMO, I think my beer tastes great!

I have made ~15-20 extract batches and I always put the grain in at the beginnig (at the same time) as I turn on the heat. I remove the grains before it reaches 170.

Also - I steep in the full 6.5 gallons of water AND I squeeze the bag. (another debate seen on this forum with no evidence for either way)

IMO, I think my beer tastes great!

I also steep in my full boil volume which is a tad over 6 gals. But I do not squeeze and to be honest, my beer has been freakin awesome.

IF anything, the more dilute the mixture, the more chance of extracting tannins from the grains and causing astringency...

From my limited research, tannins are extracted at 170F and above. So, the volume won't matter, you could fill your brew pot to your desired level. Either way, heat up to 150-160, drop in your muslin bag o' grains and let 'em steep for a while (usually 20-30 min). Pull them out and crank up the heat. Steer away from steeping at 170.

Latest posts

Back