Extract/Potential from COA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eldplanko

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing for close to 25 years, and finally stepping up my game on data collection and building a custom spreadsheet for everything. From my malt database, I'm inputing extract as FGDB% and percent moisture from each malt COA, and based on that and recipe calculating total theoretical extract (kg), and actual extract and losses at each step: conversion/un-converted extract in kg for conversion efficiency; lautered pre-boil extract vs unlautered extract for lauter efficiency, etc.

I want to make sure I'm calculating max theoretical extract correctly. I've always assumed extract % FGDB excludes that moisture weight of the grain, and base my theoretical extract calcuation based on moisture corrected grain weight x FGDB%. For example:

10 kg 2-row, with 5% moisture and 81% FGDB from COA would produce a theoretical max extract of 10 kg - (10 kg x 5%) x 81% = 9.5 kg x 81% = 7.695 kg theoretical max extract.

Alternatively if extract is reported as "as-is", you don't correct for moisture, and multiply grain weight x "as is" extract %.

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I want to make sure I'm calculating max theoretical extract correctly. I've always assumed extract % FGDB excludes that moisture weight of the grain, and base my theoretical extract calcuation based on moisture corrected grain weight x FGDB%.

That is correct. The dry basis fine grind is stated as if all moisture had been removed.

I want to make sure I'm calculating max theoretical extract correctly. I've always assumed extract % FGDB excludes that moisture weight of the grain, and base my theoretical extract calcuation based on moisture corrected grain weight x FGDB%. For example:
That is correct. One of the preparation steps to making a Congress mash (where those values come from) is determining moisture content of the sample by drying in an oven for two hours so as to be able to subtract moisture content from the calculations. It's about as much fun as watching paint dry, BTW...

Fun stuff... just about as fun as making a gigantic spreadsheet to track this stuff... my test seives just showed up today.

Latest posts

Back