Extract NE style IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leveilmc

Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping to brew a NE style IPA in the next few weeks. I have tried to put together a recipe and am looking for some feedback. This will only be my second time without a "kit". Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Type: Extract (full boil)
Batch size: 5 gallons
Boil size: 6.25
Boil duration: 60 min

8 lbs golden light DME (SRM 4)
.5 lbs cara-pils (SRM 2)
.5 Munich malt - 10L (SRM 10)
.25 lbs crystal - 10L (SRM 10)

.5 oz Magnum (first wort)
.5 oz citra (15 min)
.5 oz citra (10 min)
1 oz Amarillo (5 min)
1 oz mosaic (1 min)
1 oz Amarillo (whirlpool)
1 oz citra (whirlpool)
2 oz citra (dry hop)
1 oz mosaic (dry hop)

London ale III yeast

Initial numbers from calculator
OG: 1.072
FG: 1.018

Steep grains for 30min @155
Add Magnum with 5 min left in steep
Bring to boil and add extract
Add hops as scheduled
Cool to 180F and add whirlpool hops
Whirpool/steep for 15 minutes
Cool down, pitch yeast.
Dry hop for 5 days

I'd look at adding some wheat if you're going for an NEIPA.

Hop selection looks good. But I would move all the hop additions (except for your bittering charge) to FO or WP/HS. I would also double the amount for the dry hop.

ETA: I'd drop the crystal as well.

Thanks for the input. What type of wheat? Something like this?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/briess-dried-malt-extract-bavarian-wheat-1-lb

And how much? Should I sub out some of the DME with the wheat?
Yeah, that would work. Or you could go with this one (I'd prefer this one): http://www.midwestsupplies.com/munton-and-fison-uk-wheat-dme

As far as how much, it really depends on your preference. For example, your current recipe, by my quick calculations, has 1.066 OG, 1.017 FG (6.54% ABV).

If you went with 8# Light DME, 1.5# Wheat, and 1# Sugar, you'd have 1.081 OG, 1.020 FG (7.96% ABV). I like sugar in my IPAs to dry them out, but that's personal preference. You could just do Light DME and Wheat and still have 1.073 OG, 1.018 FG (7.14% ABV).

So it really depends on what you want out of the beer. Personally, I'd just go with Light DME and Wheat. Add the sugar if you want to dry it out more.

Back