Extract kit for Christmas: what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
My brother in law gave me a DM extract kit for Christmas. Sierra Nevada IPA clone.

I've never done extract since I started off AG. I really don't want to occupy a fermenter with an extract since I have AG I can do.

Could I make the kit but only use 1/2 the water and make it an "imperial IPA"?

Maybe I'll give it a whirl then.

Just feel weird doing extract after only ever doing AG

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Add some LME to boost it up. The more sugar the more booze right. Im guessing you could hp it up a but too.

Why not do a partial mash with some grains, add the extracts at the end of boil,juice up the hops and get 10 gallons out of it.

And have the bro-in-law over for a brew day so he knows what he's buying.

Lol. I'm guessing its partial mash since there are grains included. Not sure tho.

You are prob right DR. Looked at kit and there are some grains and a muslin bag.

It's supposed to snow here tomorrow and I've got the day off. Maybe I'll try it out!

My brother in law gave me a DM extract kit for Christmas. Sierra Nevada IPA clone.

I've never done extract since I started off AG. I really don't want to occupy a fermenter with an extract since I have AG I can do.

Could I make the kit but only use 1/2 the water and make it an "imperial IPA"?

Get another fermenter and brew it! If you can't brew it because you don't have a fermenter... you don't have enough fermenters!

I brew all grain, but because of the cold weather my last 2 have been extracts. One a kit from my LHBS and the other my recipe.

I have done extracts, partial mash, and all grain. The best from each would rate equally if that is your worry.

Lol, I got plenty of fermenters, I just need to get over myself.

I looked at instructions this morning. Very vague. It's a kit from lhbs with their instructions. It does not give water amount for boil.

It basically says, heat to 170, add extract, boil, add hops, top off with cold water to 5 gal.

Any recommendations for water? I was just going to start with three.

Agreed. Brew it up, Make it a full boil even if you can. The only thing affected will be hop utilization (which i believe in this case would mean more hoppy goodness from a full boil). It is weird going back to using extracts after being used to AG. Kinda like having a mac and cheese night after living off of fancy schmancy food. It is an experience, it is beer, and it is great for a really quick brew.

And this is a Dry Extract kit? Even better. I hate messing with Liquid extracts. I can never get the last bit out without a squeegee and cutting the containers open and making all kinds of a mess.

Or better yet, brew it with him. Maybe he wants an excuse to start brewing...

Thanks for tips! Once I started this thread, I've gotten excited. Haven't brewed since late October! I think this extract will be a great snow day project. Plus, extract will be a great introduction to brewing for my newborn son!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391444345.028320.jpg

Who needs a wort chiller when you got snow!?

Stir it up while u pack snow against the sides. The faster u cool it the better.

Yep. I eventually packed snow all the way around it close to the top.

I ended up guesstimating my water wrong and ended up with four gallons, but, it was rocking around 8%, so that's fine with me!

Back