Extract ipa with 7%+ alc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a 5gal batch of a darker ipa that is around 7% alcohol. I checked the recipe forums but seeing as I'm new to brewing I can't determine the taste from the ingredients. I am looking for a darker/stronger ipa that I can make from extract, anyone with any recipes that fit this? I would love to try one and your help is appreciated!!

If you're okay with brewing a kit, I would look into Northern Brewer's Black IPA.

Seems to be what you're looking for.

Tom

I brewed that kit 7 weeks ago (not that I'm counting), it's been in bottles for about a week and a half and I tried my first last weekend. FANTASTIC. I didn't pitch enough yeast and had to warm it up to get it down the last few points. It is well worth the wait, excellent beer, my best so far.

Brewer's best had an awesome cascadian dark ipa as a seasonal release last year. I tweaked it just a little for better head retention and just brewed my second batch of it a month ago. Recipe as follows:
5 gallon batch. 60 min boil
Extracts:
3.3# dark LME
3.3# amber LME
2.25# amber DME
Steeping grains:
8oz victory
8oz caramel 80L
6oz midnight wheat
Hop schedule:
1oz warrior (60 min)
1/2oz simcoe (20)
1/2oz cascade (flameout)
2oz cascade dry-hop in secondary
1 packet Nottingham
Og- 1.062
Fg- 1.010 (got awesome attenuation this batch, first one finished at 1.013)
Abv came out around 6.5%
Notes of coffee and chocolate along with a dominatingly dry and hoppy finish. Opaque black color and creamy head you can float a bottlecap on

Hope you enjoy this if you end up doing it

==============================
Primary- air
Secondary - pinot noir, Black Idea BIPA
Bottled - mind bending barleywine, Russian imperial stout, cinnamon spiced aphelwien
Drinking - Black Idea, McQuakers oatmeal stout, caffery's clone, aphelwien, magic hat #9 clone, Sam summer clone
On deck - Porter, five ways.

Awesome thank you all for the ideas, I am going over all of them and finding it hard to not just brew each one...!

Awesome thank you all for the ideas, I am going over all of them and finding it hard to not just brew each one...!

I see you are in Portland. I am bottling my IPA tonight. Hit me up in three weeks and I'll let you try it out. :tank:

Awesome man, I went with an ipa just brewed last night, OG was 1.059. Pretty excited it's extremely active already and fermenting at 62 degrees

I decided to do an extract similar to rogues brutal ipa, I have tried that before and a few buddies of mine who have brewed for years helped me out with a recipe. Pretty simple considering I'm using extracts still. Thinking about dry hopping it but still not sure since I never have.

You will want to dry hop for an IPA for sure. It's not hard to do at all. Just get some hops and a hop bag and put your hops in the hop bag, put it in another bucket/carboy and rack your beer on top after it's done fermenting. Let it sit another week or two, pull out the hop bag, and bottle like normal. I just got done doing a quick extract batch myself the other day, and plan to bottle this weekend if I have time. It was a recipe I found off of the forums, and it sounded great. Here's the link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/wild-dog-days-summer-ale-80530/ I did the one with half wheat. I'd be up for a beer trade sometime if everyone's setting something up.

Double IPA ;)
8.5% and a crap ton of IBU's

Russian Rivers Pliny the elder...
Could be considered one of the best. EVER!

11.00 LBS LME Pale 80%
1.00 LBS HB Pale Ale Malt/Maris Otter 7%
0.25 LBS Great Western Crystal 40 2%
0.75 LBS DWC Carapils 5%
0.75 LBS Dextrose 5%

3.50 oz CTZ 90 min
0.75 oz CTZ 45 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 30 min
1.00 oz Centennial 0 min
2.50 oz Simcoe 0 min

Put into Secondary Fermantation

1.00 oz CTZ 1st Dry Hop
1.00 oz Centennial 1st Dry Hop
1.00 oz Simcoe 1st Dry Hop

Add to secondary after 7 days for 5 more days

0.25 oz CTZ 2nd Dry Hop
0.25 oz Centennial 2nd Dry Hop
0.25 oz Simcoe 2nd Dry Hop

Double IPA ;)
8.5% and a crap ton of IBU's

Russian Rivers Pliny the elder...
Could be considered one of the best. EVER!

11.00 LBS LME Pale 80%
1.00 LBS HB Pale Ale Malt/Maris Otter 7%
0.25 LBS Great Western Crystal 40 2%
0.75 LBS DWC Carapils 5%
0.75 LBS Dextrose 5%

3.50 oz CTZ 90 min
0.75 oz CTZ 45 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 30 min
1.00 oz Centennial 0 min
2.50 oz Simcoe 0 min

Put into Secondary Fermantation

1.00 oz CTZ 1st Dry Hop
1.00 oz Centennial 1st Dry Hop
1.00 oz Simcoe 1st Dry Hop

Add to secondary after 7 days for 5 more days

0.25 oz CTZ 2nd Dry Hop
0.25 oz Centennial 2nd Dry Hop
0.25 oz Simcoe 2nd Dry Hop

Seeing as this is the Beginners forum, I will preemptively offer that "CTZ is Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus"
...I'll also offer that this looks delicious

I did the AHS 20th anniversary IPA kit and then added their alcohol boost. It should end up at 7.0+% by the time it's done. Will be a nice summer beer :)

Seeing as this is the Beginners forum, I will preemptively offer that "CTZ is Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus"
...I'll also offer that this looks delicious

Yes, any of the three will work they are all the same hop. It all just depends on what region they were grown. I can get both Columbus and Tomahawk at my LHBS and i cant tell the difference.

I have brewed this about 3 times and EVERY time its gone before i can blink :drunk:

Yes, any of the three will work they are all the same hop. It all just depends on what region they were grown. I can get both Columbus and Tomahawk at my LHBS and i cant tell the difference.

I have brewed this about 3 times and EVERY time its gone before i can blink :drunk:

I've used Colombus and Zeus for the same recipe twice now and not noticed any difference (other than the fruity esters from a warm fermentation that second time ...DOH) :ban:

So I have had it in a Carboy for coming up on a week (in two days) I have only ever primary fermented in a Carboy for 2 weeks and then bottled. Can I still dry hop? All I have is a bottling bucket and Carboy (things big enough to hold 5 gal) I have never dry hopped and literally am confused by the concept, anyone want to elaborate in noob words? :)

After 10-14 days, you should be good to dry hop in primary. Search the topic in the forum, there are many threads on dryhopping in primary.

Dry hoping is just putting hops in your when primary fermentation is almost done or has already finished. Normally you dry hop by adding hops directly to your fermentation tank either by dropping them in or putting them in a hop bag and seeping them like you would a tea bag. 2 weeks is the most you normally want to dry hop.

You want to wait until fermentation stops before you dry hop. Thats why most people Dry hop when they rack to secondary, Dry hoping in primary is fine as long as you wait untill its almost done. When you dry hop your adding a ton of aroma to your beer and each time your airlock bubbles your losing that aroma your trying to put into the beer.

Awesome, so i would just want to go to my local homebrew store and pick up some aroma hops? i would go with the hop bad and litterally i just toss them in a hop bag and t-bag it for a minute and drop it into the carboy? Airlock it and leave it for a weekish?

Awesome, so i would just want to go to my local homebrew store and pick up some aroma hops? i would go with the hop bad and litterally i just toss them in a hop bag and t-bag it for a minute and drop it into the carboy? Airlock it and leave it for a weekish?

I use a hop bag as well, i put a weight in it to weigh it down (but that's not needed) Just fill the bag up and toss it in. A week is good. Use whatever hops you used in your boil. It will add to the flavor and complexity of the beer.

I use a hop bag as well, i put a weight in it to weigh it down (but that's not needed) Just fill the bag up and toss it in. A week is good. Use whatever hops you used in your boil. It will add to the flavor and complexity of the beer.

Sanitize/boil bag and weight (no lead) first, yes?

I use a Stainless Steel marble the size of a golf ball. Yes i sanitize the bag and the weight.

Along with the advice about sanitizing and weighting down the hop bag I would suggest 2oz of Cascade and throw it right in the primary after at least 3 weeks. Leave the dry hop bag in for another week, rack to a bottling bucket, prime, bottle, and in about 3 more weeks you should have some freaking awesome beer!!

Just a suggestion!!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Along with the advice about sanitizing and weighting down the hop bag I would suggest 2oz of Cascade and throw it right in the primary after at least 3 weeks. Leave the dry hop bag in for another week, rack to a bottling bucket, prime, bottle, and in about 3 more weeks you should have some freaking awesome beer!!

Just a suggestion!!

Good luck and keep us updated!

This is EXACTLY what I did both times I dryhopped. And I agree "Freaking Awesome" indeed. :rockin:

Awesome, I got 1oz of cascade hops to dry hop! Quick question though. Can I bottle into a growler? And if I do once you pop it doesn't it lose it's carbonation? So you have to finish it that day? Thanks for all the help guys

The growler is one from a brewery I bought online, it was the stopper and the flip top thing, not a twist on

I'm gonna add to the NW vibe going on in here, and say that yeah, it's best to drink the growler pretty soon after opening it up. Keep it as cold as possible and keep the lid on when it's not being poured, but even after 24 hours from being opened it really starts to lose carbonation.

Did a clone of Rogue's brutal IPA, just checked the final gravity and was spot on, im dry hopping so i checked a couple days early, tossed in some Chinook hops (opted out of cascade because i used them in the brew) Tasted the sample and MY GOD was it delicious, damn near poured myself a glass!

Lind13 said:
Did a clone of Rogue's brutal IPA, just checked the final gravity and was spot on, im dry hopping so i checked a couple days early, tossed in some Chinook hops (opted out of cascade because i used them in the brew) Tasted the sample and MY GOD was it delicious, damn near poured myself a glass!

Yeah dude. I've gotten half drunk off of "gravity samples" myself :cheers:

Latest posts

Back