Extract FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phreak

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just recently made a West Coast IPA DME kit where I hit my OG dead-on (1.064), but my FG was lower than expected by 8 points (1.007) based off the kit's estimate (1.015). I fermented pretty much the whole time between 62-64. Although I'm not too worried because the sample tasted great, I'm more curious as to what might be the cause of it? This was a 3 gallon kit and I used a full pack of US-05. Would this be an overpitching issue, maybe? I know extract kits are just an estimate on gravity but it seems odd it would be off by that many points, no? As always, any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Being a 3 gallon kit,it's likely a bit of an overpitch. But it still had to have had a lot of the simple sugars in it that the yeast can metabolize?...

Yes, that's correct. The kit had 1lb of dextrose along with the 4 lbs of DME. I probably should have used the Mr. Malty Calc and pitched just over a half pack?

Yes, that's correct. The kit had 1lb of dextrose along with the 4 lbs of DME. I probably should have used the Mr. Malty Calc and pitched just over a half pack?

No, I'm sure it was fine. The lower FG is due to the simple sugar in it. A given FG is just a guestimate anyway. I wouldn't worry about it- it sounds pretty good.

I've never done a 3 gallon kit or whatever smaller batches. but I'd say even 2/3's of the pack would've been close. A yeast calculator would be a help here accuracy-wise.
AS for the amounts of DME & corn sugar,the sugar would've given a brisk initial fermentation,imo. but the 4lbs of DME,fermenting out well,might even then not have had enough long chain sugars that give color & flavor enough power to keep the FG up into range.

Interesting to know. Another learning experience. That's why I love this place. Thanks for the help, too! Nice Red Green av, Yooper. A regular staple up here in the Great White North. :)

Back