Extract Brewing with electricity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderBayBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm about to take the plunge into brewing with electricity. To start I'm just going to have and electric boil kettle which has the typical 5500w element in it. It will be controlled by the stilldragon controller.

I'm assuming it will be pretty easy to scorch wort when adding extract to the boil. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Cheer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey all,

I'm about to take the plunge into brewing with electricity. To start I'm just going to have and electric boil kettle which has the typical 5500w element in it. It will be controlled by the stilldragon controller.

I'm assuming it will be pretty easy to scorch wort when adding extract to the boil. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Cheer!

I'm about to do the same, so I am also interested in the responses here, but I'm thinking that it's probably best to avoid liquid extract and to pour the dry extract in slowly while stirring. Again, I don't have any personal experience with this.

Just turn off the element when you add the extract, and stir like hell before you turn it back on.

Edit: also stir after you turn off the element but before the extract goes in.

DME can just be poured in, but make sure you turn off the elements before you add any LME. If you do decide to use LME make sure you clean your elements very well after every brew.

LME I pour in while the element is on, no trouble. I do stir as I pour, or as soon after as I can.

I also pour off to the side of the element, not like right over top of it. No issues, with a camco 5500 extra low watt density 'typical' element.

Before going to all grain I built an electric boil kettle with a 5500w ultra low watt density element. I used both DME and LME without any problems. I would turn off the element when adding the extract to prevent boil over. With LME I would pour it in slow while stirring with my other hand. I never had any scorching issues. My element was no more dirty than it gets from an all grain brew and can be easily wiped off with a sponge. Now the element in my RIMS tube has scorching issues occasionally but an overnight soak in muriatic acid followed by a soak in PBW makes it as good as new.

While I wouldn't dump it all in at once, it's pretty hard to burn on an ULWD element.

Bitters and Esters (a brew on premise place that does mostly extract) did over 300 batches on their electric setup in the first year and half without issues:

bitterandesters728.jpg

This is often non-brew savvy people using it - not always staff. I wouldn't worry too much.

Kal

Back