Extract brewing is FAKE brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your just not one of us. Shut the fu@k up. That's such BS. I brew with extract kits. I don't use pre-hopped canned kits, but I do use extract nevertheless. I'm not a professional brewer, but I've made some really good beers in my 1 & a half years of homebrewing. The guy obviously has no sense of what homebrewing is all about.

At the risk of being pedantic, that should be "You're just not one of us."

OK. Who the fu@k are you talking to?

Cripes! 201 posts in this thread.

In the words of Wil Wheaton "I've not encountered a home brewer that is a ******, I'm sure they exist" I never thought they did exist but I guess they do haha!

Oh and you aren't a real brewer unless you DONT use an axe to chop down your tree for firewood, you must use your bare hands, I guess the guy who said that is Chuck Norris!

Yeah, division of labor is a foundation of civilization, cooperation, and community. Specialization, we each get really good at one thing, you grow the food, you build houses, you make wheeled carts, you'll write music, you'll design torture devices(it goes of the rails occasionally), and you make malt extract, so I can focus on what I do.

All this hippie/natural/reject progress thought seems to lead to one place if followed to it's end, return to being hunter/gatherers. They had no beer and died in their 20's. I love toilets, mars rovers, hospitals, and malt extract :)

I've been reading this thread all day! It's both funny and offensive, like a good comedian. 😂

I've been extract brewing since 2010. Due to time, money, and space constraints, ( mostly time) I'll probably keep on extract brewing for awhile. I've been looking at the Grainfather system as a way to make the jump from extract to all grain without having to devote a whole day to brewing one batch. I have a buddy with a similar schedule who makes all grain batches, and last year he had time to make one batch while I made 4 with extract.

SWMBO has been resistant to me spending the $$ for the Grainfather. She says "you've been making good beer with the extract, why put out extra money to make the same beer". Recently I've been looking at a bread machine, thinking it would be nice to have fresh bread ready for us when we get home from work. To which SWMBO said "making bread in a bread machine is not homemade bread. It has to be made from scratch to be homemade bread". To which I said "Oh...you mean like it's not home brewed beer if it's from extract and not all grain?" 😁😂😃

I still don't have a bread machine or the Grainfather. 😯😕

Hmm, I used to use a bread machine set to have bread done when I got up on a weekend morning. It made bread and the aroma would waft all though the house, but it is not quite the same as a bread that is "handmade".

Glad the difference between AG and extract beer isn't that wide. :fro:

Well extract is a lot better now than when it was first produced. I have everything to make either extract or all grain and I've made some good beer from both. When I switched to all grain though I started seeing a decline in frequency to the point where I haven't brewed beer in 7 months and it's because of the extra time it takes. So I just got some extract so I can squeeze in a brew day with my homegrown hops

"Are you seriously saying that you have stuck enough LME into a pot to just ferment the small amount of sugar remaining in the extract ?"

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

There's a little bit of beer snob in all of us! And in some there's too much, and those people should insert bottle in mouth whenever it opens so they can't spew stupidness.

Is this the longest thread ever?

I just poured my first AG batch after doing partials my whole life. And the beer is good, very good, but not sure it's 4 hours and harder work better?

I plan on opening a brew pub in a few years and partial/ extract would be too expensive so I started AG

Not sure what the big deal is, my normal beer is every bit as good

I think it's the same as golfers who swear by titleist pro v, as opposed to "lesser balls"

Whatever floats your boat

I just poured my first AG batch after doing partials my whole life. And the beer is good, very good, but not sure it's 4 hours and harder work better?

I plan on opening a brew pub in a few years and partial/ extract would be too expensive so I started AG

Not sure what the big deal is, my normal beer is every bit as good

I think it's the same as golfers who swear by titleist pro v, as opposed to "lesser balls"

Whatever floats your boat

First of all, are we still doing phrasing?

Second, you hit the nail on the head with extract being freaking expensive. Also limiting. I haven't found a Munich DME that anyone is raving about.

Third, I need to go to bed. I've had one too many homebrewed stouts tonight and nothing good can come of my further posting. Goodnight y'all.

Speaking of fake brewing, I've been tasked with creating a fake brew for a movie scene.
I'll need to have a carboy bubbling on cue.

Any tips from you extract guys?

I'm just getting started in AG brewing (elec BIAB) but I've done a few batches with extract and from the outside looking in, making beer to me means turning starchy malt into sugary wort. If that's already been done for me, I'm really just re hydrating and infusing with hops, perhaps steeping some grains. All the variables during mashing were taken out of my hands, the fun has already been had. Boiling, hop additions, and of course fermentation aside, to me it's the difference between making coffee from beans vs. stirring some instant coffee into hot water. I'm not saying extract brews can't win awards, or that AG quality is somehow superior (my only AG batch to date was a band-aid laden nightmare) but just looking at processes, although both result in beer, one is a continuation of thousands of years of human tradition, the other is not.

This hobby (sport? obsession!) is called homebrewing by the way, not homesteeping, not homefermenting. Modern technology and sanitation practices may have stripped much complexity away, but the act of transforming grains into beer remains as an umbilicus; as evidence and reminder of our place in history.

If arriving at drinkable beer were the only goalpost, there would be another branch of homebrewing with ready-to-ferment wort provided in cans, self carbonating in its own pressure vessel, with all sorts of authentic recipes available to provide a tiny, easily-attainable soapbox from which to profess one's own superiority over the unwashed, BMC-swilling masses.

And those folks would almost certainly seek refuge from the ridicule of elitist extract brewers, in a thread much like this one.

You know, I've meandered through this thread a few times never really paying much attention to it. However, I recently over heard someone at a LHBS tell another customer that "AG brewing is superior to extract in everyway." My first thought was "yeah, superior in selling this guy a bunch of all grain equipment to make more money." I didn't step into the conversation but now I feel I should have to save a future homebrewer.

Now for my opinion...I believe that any route you take to end with good beer is brewing. There is more to the WHOLE brewing process than extracting the fermentables from the grain. You're simply bypassing that step. I started with extract brewing and it helped me learn the process from kettle to glass. I made some really good extract beers that I would drink over the commercial or craft variant of similar style. I honestly don't think I made a bad extract brew. It wasn't until I started AG that I made a bad beer...

This hobby (sport? obsession!) is called homebrewing by the way, not homesteeping, not homefermenting. Modern technology and sanitation practices may have stripped much complexity away, but the act of transforming grains into beer remains as an umbilicus; as evidence and reminder of our place in history.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong...I'm not saying you're wrong JayJay, it just seems like brewing elitist talk. Dictionary definition of brewing is to prepare (beer, ale, etc.) by steeping, boiling, and fermentation or by infusion and fermentation. If someone steeps specialty grain in their extract batch they are considered to be brewing. And if that same person was at their home, then my friend, they would be homebrewing. :mug:

Elitist talk is right. Like saying your not making bbq if u dont raise, slaughter, butcher, debone, the beef before u make hamburgers. Simply bypassing the steps to gt to final product....a burger. I make beer. Damn good beer. From extract. I have done both processes and i enjoy beer from extract brewing same as allgrain

I'm not slamming extract brewing, just pointing out that there is a ladder of beerness, and the AG distinction serves to separate it into two halves. Is AG the lower half? I don't think so.

I'm not slamming extract brewing, just pointing out that there is a ladder of beerness, and the AG distinction serves to separate it into two halves. Is AG the lower half? I don't think so.

Y does there have to be 2 halves? Why does everything have to be seperated? I make beer. I make good beer never had someone say it was bad. I have had people evem offer to buy it. I extract brew. You make good beer and you AG. We both brew beer. U just take a longer route. Nothing wrong with it but it doesnt make someone better.

Y does there have to be 2 halves? Why does everything have to be seperated? I make beer. I make good beer never had someone say it was bad. I have had people evem offer to buy it. I extract brew. You make good beer and you AG. We both brew beer. U just take a longer route. Nothing wrong with it but it doesnt make someone better.

EXACTLY!!! The more I all grain the more I try to resort back to less equipment. Time constraints and other adult responsibilities, and doing two all grain batches in one day is a lot of work....if I do a BIAB, does that make me less of a homebrewer if I destroy your efficiency with one vessel? BIAB is essentially just steeping....however, its all grain! There is no distinction...don't let advances in mankind distort your perception of history! I pay homage to the first brewers in mankind, but I will easily argue my extract brew is better than what they made hundreds of years ago....

Beer snobs will say, do whatever to make "their" way seem superior

They should relax, drink an extract brew, and get over themselves

I love beer. But i dont havr an extra 300 to drop on all grain equipment when i can buy nesrly 6 batches of extract for same. And its still beer amd still beer i like.

I love beer. But i dont havr an extra 300 to drop on all grain equipment when i can buy nesrly 6 batches of extract for same. And its still beer amd still beer i like.

Not sure where you can up with 300 for all grain equipment?

If you are full boil extract the move to all grain is really not that far away. Any cooler and a 10 dollar Home Depot braid, or he'll a $2 paint strainer bag can get you to ag?

On some Saturday mornings its either brew extract just for the hell of it or dont brew at all. i only brew sours at home so i can always use a meh blond base to blend with. extract brewing might be fake but i have made some 100% wheat dme +fruite juice sours that were rated very highly.
i use wheat dme as a tool i feel it has great use even when i do all grain i throw in a few oz of BW dme just cause diversity is key in every single aspect of life.
just my 2 cents

UGGGHH. so much work! I think I'll just Crack open this budweiser.

If you're telling me that brewing two all grain batches in one day isn't a lot of work, then more power to you. I never said I didnt enjoy the fruits of my hard work, only that my other personal commitments restrict the amount of time I get to devote to this hobby. Therefore, I dont think you can call me less of a homebrewer if I choose to shorten a brew day in order to still enjoy brewing.

If you're making the statement that extract brewing deviates from history, then I would agree to this simple and factual claim. Hurray for human advancement...but to call extract brewers "homesteepers" or "homefermenters"seems insulting!

Wait, what? Did I just see...? Wait... When I fist came here I was reminded of the dozen or so words you can't say on TV by George Carlin, I'm almost positive they told me one of them was ehh...Budweiser. Oh God, I can't believe I just said that.

But then I ran across this, the 8 deadly sins...

1. A proud (vain) look
2. A lying tongue.
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. A heart that deviseth wicked acts
5. Feet that be swift in running to mischief
6. A false witness that speaketh lies
7. He that soweth discord among brethren
8. Thou shalt not consume Budweiser.

Extract brewing is still brewing. I don't judge anyone in the craft beer community as far as homebrewing or just drinking craft. Many homebrewers and commercial Brewers started with extract and yes some if not most has moved on to all grain usually after dabbling with partial mash but there are many who stuck with extract and make killer brews.

No matter how you you choose to brew, somebody somewhere will look at what you do and think or even say (if they are like some of the dbags in this thread) that you are doing it all wrong. BFD.

I'm not slamming AG brewing, but if you have to climb a ladder to brew AG, count me out. I prefer to keep my feet on the ground, sensibly brewing in the way that brings me the most enjoyment.

Wow this is just a jolly thread and an eyesore for HBT in my opinion. This one needs to be left to die a long slow death in the archives.

damn i just read the first post...now i'm wondering if it would have been 'enhanced' (keep in mind i have a sugar wash going now)...if i read through it?

Back