Extract Barleywine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blake_park

Reaction score
A week ago, (last Monday night) I brewed an extract barleywine kit from NB. I pitched one packet of rehydrated US-05, and I checked tonight, and the bucket is still actively fermenting. My OG was 1.082. How long should I expect this thing to go for? Never had this happen before.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Interesting! I made an extract barleywine from some DME and hops I had leftover, also used US05 (slurry from a previous batch) and my OG was 1.080 - and my gallon of deliciousness is still swirling away, as well.

So, I can't tell you how much longer it'll go, but I can tell you that mine is also still active after a week.

How do you know it is still fermenting?

Speaking for myself, I have a clear 1 gallon glass jug so I can still see the little bits of trub and stuff swirling around inside...as well as little bubbles floating up to the top of the jug. There is also some airlock activity.

I still have a considerable amount of krausen in my 5 gal fermenter. I rehydrated and pitched another packet of US-05 this morning to try and combat my under pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Probably won't help you much, the symptom of your underpitch would be excessive fruity esters, and once they're there by day five or six they will usually stick around. Extra time on the yeast cake can help a little with any fusels (solvent flavors), though. One pack of 11g dry for five gallons of 1.080 is not an egregious underpitch though if you rehydrated it, I think you'll be alright.

Back