Extract and Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint04

Reaction score
A couple months ago, I tried to make something similar to Jolly Pumpkin's Weizen Bam. Since I was busy at the time, I decided to do a quick extract batch. Here is the recipe:

3 Gallon Batch
3lbs. Wheat DME
1oz Halleratuer 30min
Wyeast 3068 (no starter)

I let the Weihenstephan yeast get down to ~1.015 then pitched a pack of Brett B.

I pulled a sample 3-4 weeks ago, and the gravity was at 1.009. Today, I pulled another sample, and it tastes great, but the gravity is still 1.009.

I haven't extract brewed in a while, but I sort of remember them never fermenting as low as my AG beers, where I can alter the mash temp for a dryer beer.

How low should I expect the gravity to be with this beer? If I pull a sample in another 3-4 weeks, and it's still 1.009, do you think it's safe to bottle?

Thanks!
Clint

That's what I assumed. I have heard that Brett can appear to stop for a period of time, before starting back up again.

I'll put this one completely out of mind for a couple more months.

Can't hurt to let it sit for a few more months, but I've brewed all-grain Brett beers that never dropped lower than that. Brett can be an annihilator of sugars in certain conditions, but I think this gets a bit overblown. It's probably very circumstantial. I wouldn't be surprised if your gravity doesn't drop significantly lower than that, but I probably wouldn't bottle earlier than 6 months, either.

As a secondary yeast, Brett can take about 8 months to fully develop, and continue munching on sugars for another year after that. Give it lots more time, or bottle in thick bottles and store for a long time.

I don't know for sure, but I thought JP ran all it's beers through it's barrels that are inoculated with Lacto. Pedio, and Brett. You may not develop the flavors to reproduce the beer with just Brett.

I don't know for sure, but I thought JP ran all it's beers through it's barrels that are inoculated with Lacto. Pedio, and Brett. You may not develop the flavors to reproduce the beer with just Brett.

I'm not sure what JP does exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I wasn't shooting for an exact clone, more of just an "inspired by Weizen Bam" beer. Every time I have Weizen Bam, it is a nice, light beer with a good mouthfeel and Brett presence.

Judging by the sample I pulled yesterday, I am getting what I was shooting for. Unfortunately, I still have a few more months in which a lot can change.

Latest posts

Back