Extra Yeast after Cold Crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waarhorse777

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm excited as this is my first post after lurking/reading for a couple months.

I currently have 2 gallons of cider going using WYeast 1056 American Ale (as my local brew store recommended it). It came in a pouch. I am now in secondary fermentation and plan to bottle on July 2nd if my hydrometer agrees. I plan to back sweeten with cider concentrate, carb with a brown sugar mixture, and then use "Pappers" method of pasteurizing to stop fermentation.

My question stems from the fact that I have stayed completely chemical free (except for StarSan) and want to continue doing so. I was thinking of cold crashing the 2 gallons (for an unknown time, suggestions would help) to remove particles and clarify before I bottle. Do I need to add more yeast to the bottles to carbonate effectively? If so, what small packet of yeast do I use/buy as i don't want to buy a big pouch of the 1056 again and only use a tiny bit as it won't keep long.

Any help at all would be appreciated and thank you all in advance. I look forward to learning something and contributing when I get past the newbie zone of knowledge.

You will probably atill have enough yeast in suspension to carbonate

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you very much for the reply! Any idea how long cold crashing takes or what would be the best temperature? I've heard about the "reverse air lock" issue so i know to be careful there. Also, after cold crashing, would that slow down the carb process or would it remain the same as if I hadn't?

Thank you very much for the reply! Any idea how long cold crashing takes or what would be the best temperature? I've heard about the "reverse air lock" issue so i know to be careful there. Also, after cold crashing, would that slow down the carb process or would it remain the same as if I hadn't?

You need about 3-4 celcius to cold crash (standard kitchen refrigerator temperature). If you cold crash in 750ml PET bottles, like I do, then it takes 2 days from cloudy to crystal clear. A carboy would take longer due to the reduced surface area that is in contact with the cider.

Soon as your cider warms up again, the yeast will become just as active as they were before you put them down for a nap.

I don't think there's much risk with 1 gallon jugs, they're structurally strong. So are tearshaped demijohns of all sizes. The problem with the 5 and 6 gallon carboys that people use for brewing is that they are structurally weak.

If you want to stick with glass, get a demijohn. That's what I use and it's very nice in every way.

DEMIJOHN-NN.jpg

I don't think there's much risk with 1 gallon jugs, they're structurally strong. So are tearshaped demijohns of all sizes. The problem with the 5 and 6 gallon carboys that people use for brewing is that they are structurally weak.

If you want to stick with glass, get a demijohn. That's what I use and it's very nice in every way.

DEMIJOHN-NN.jpg

Since I now have eight individual carboys of glass, that does assure me. I'd hate to start over and try to sell them. I was told right away to brew in Gallon sizes in order to make life easier. Easier to carry, store, and fit in a fridge better.

Since I now have eight individual carboys of glass, that does assure me. I'd hate to start over and try to sell them. I was told right away to brew in Gallon sizes in order to make life easier. Easier to carry, store, and fit in a fridge better.

I have gallon jugs as well. I normally rack from the demijohn to them when I want to free up my demijohn for the next batch.

Were you the one with the disability? In that case, 1 gallon jugs are the best for you.

No serious disability here, just arthritis that comes and goes. That's enough to "help" me drop something heavy from time to time. I am just hoping that primary in a gallon won't require any real changes than in a five gallon.

You can get on just fine doing 1 gallon batches. Personally, I wish I could find like 8 more of the same 5 liter jugs that I have - they're great. It's very easy to do experimental batches when you've got smaller vessels, as well.

That's good news and what i was hoping. I wanted to try a few variations in order to find a cider that I liked best. Trying different yeasts, flavors, how long to mellow out in secondary fermentation, ect. This way I won't be subject to a "lot" of something I dislike.

Back