Extra water with beer kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
I have been wondering this for a while if using more than 2.5 gallons as instructed on beer kits is OK. I usually use Northern Brewer kits for reference. I have an 8 gallon pot, so I have been using almost 6 gallons of water, and following the same schedule as if I had 2.5 gallons.

Should I stick to 2.5 gallons, or do I need to make any changes if I use more water?

The only downside from using more water in the boil is you have to chill more wort down to fermentation temps at the end of the boil.

Most extract kits (LME/DME) can be brewed with half the water, chilled, then topped up to batch size with cold or cool water.

Please note, only add 1/3 to 1/2 of the malt extract at the beginning of the boil, the rest after flameout. It tastes fresher that way and reduces unwanted caramelization. It you only boil half the batch size, you should add even less extract at the beginning of the boil, around 1/4. The remainder after flameout, but before chilling.

Now when you're brewing very hoppy (and bitter) beers, say 50 IBUs and over, it's better to use the full batch boil volume as that increases hop utilization.

Makes sense with the bitter beers.

So you are saying I have 6 lbs of gold malt extract, that I should only add 1/2 for the hour boil. Then the rest after flameout before cooling?

For full volume boils, yes!

If you boil only half the volume, say 3 gallons, only add 1/4 of the extract.

I have been wondering this for a while if using more than 2.5 gallons as instructed on beer kits is OK. I usually use Northern Brewer kits for reference. I have an 8 gallon pot, so I have been using almost 6 gallons of water, and following the same schedule as if I had 2.5 gallons.

Should I stick to 2.5 gallons, or do I need to make any changes if I use more water?

Your IBU's will higher than what is stated on the kit. Its harder for hops to isomerize in a concentrate, so kits have to compensate by adding more hops. Not necessarily a bad thing if it's an IPA, but it could be a problem if your making a beer with low IBU's.

Back