Extra Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaydaw

Reaction score
If I have 3 lbs of and IPA extract left over could I combine it with a different type of beer and still get good results? Was thikning of combinging with a Pilsner extract. Would this be a bad idea to just experiment or should I give it a go? thanks!

Pre-hopped maybe? If so, I would go ahead and take a shot - I've heard over the years of all sorts of odd ideas that worked out just fine. My favorite is the guy who used bread yeast because he didn't have brewing yeast on hand. This would be practically main stream by comparison.

If my guess is correct [edit - which it turned out to be], then I suggest trying unhopped extracts in the future and do your own hop additions.

Maybe it is just pre-hopped LME? If it isn't stale, it can surely be used. The trick might be calculating IBU. I'm sure Yooper could better suggest a usage if she knew exactly what it is.

Either way, I would take a stab at it. I would likely give the extract a taste to get an impression about any hop additions in it. From there I would take a "best guess" on additional hops for the recipe. If it truly is a pre-hopped LME can for an IPA kit, I would add all my other hop additions late to improve flavor and aroma.

Some of the most interesting beers I've had have been made by taking ingredients that normally don't go together and seeing what happens.

IPA hopping means you probably should stick to something with a decent bite to it (i.e.: Pale, maybe a Bitter if you use a less hoppy base so the hops from your remainder are cut back?), but what will matter just as much is the yeast that you choose to use with it.

I agree with SteveM that reusing hopped extract is generally much tougher than plain. Having the hops married to the extract means that you don't have any control over the flavour profile of the hops you're using. You can cut back the percentage of them in the beer (bittering +/-) but you don't get to control the actual hop flavour itself.

Back