Extra Gallon of wort???? Need quick advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
So I'm brewing up Yoopers 60 min DFH clone, and I overshot my wort volume by just a hair over a gallon. I've got 7 gallons in my BK starting to boil now, which is the most I can fit in there(usually boils down to between 5 to 5.5 gallons depending on how hot it is outside.

I have about .5 left over golding and .5 left over saaz from a previous brew about a month and a half ago. These have been in my fridge in ziplock bags(not vacuum sealed, but since this is a bonus beer, I'm not worried about the freshness). These are both aroma hops so I'm not sure if this would work real well, but I'm thinking I of trying the goldings for a bittering hop and saaz for an aroma?

Plus I just finished a gallon of milk this morning which is going to become my 1 gallon primary!!! it was destiny :D

Any advice/suggestions? I'm not too worried about messing up a 1 gallon batch of bonus beer, but any tips to make it come out better would be greatly appreciated :D

Was just playing with beer smith and was thinking of adding the goldings at 60 min and then the saaz at 30 min. Which should put me around 60 IBUs

oh well, half way through this batch. Added .5oz goldings at 60 min, Just added .25oz saaz at 30, and will be adding the last .25 saaz at 2 min. Will need to swing by the LHBS to grab an ounce of something else to dry hop with in a couple of weeks. I was thinking more saaz or maybe some Amarillo, any other suggestions?

Final note on this. I should have just dumped the gallon of extra wort. After boiling for 60 min I had came out with about 1/4 gallon of wort that went into my milk jug. Think I'll skip the dry hopping as I can't afford to lose anymore beer here, plus I just realized that I used 1oz of hops to brew 1/4 gallon of beer. We shall see if there is such a thing as too much hops :D

Edit: After reducing this down to 1/4 gallon of beer in BeerSmith, this batch should have 219IBU's....me thinks this one will be sitting in the back of the closet for a very long time.

Was just playing with beer smith and was thinking of adding the goldings at 60 min and then the saaz at 30 min. Which should put me around 60 IBUs

If it's the end of the sparge that got you the extra gallon, it's going to be pretty low in specific gravity, so I wouldn't add too much in the way of bittering hops. Maybe add some watermelon or some other unusual source of sugar and see how bizarre you can make it; such experiments often have pretty interesting results.

If you collect extra work after your main sparge, you can just can it in mason jars with a pressure cooker and use it for starter wort.

I would just increase the boil time or boil more vigorously. If that extra gallon was just sparge it probably didn't add a whole lot of gravity to the finished 5-5.5 gal.

I don't get what the big deal is here. Why didn't you just keep the extra gallon with the rest of the batch and end up with a little more in the fermenter?

Or were you just wanting to make a gallon batch out of it that was different than the DFH main batch?

If it's the end of the sparge that got you the extra gallon, it's going to be pretty low in specific gravity, so I wouldn't add too much in the way of bittering hops. Maybe add some watermelon or some other unusual source of sugar and see how bizarre you can make it; such experiments often have pretty interesting results.

It was most of the sparge. I got 4 gallons out of it, and could only fit an additional 3 into the BK. I didn't pull a gravity reading as I didn't want to waste any, figuring I'd just let it ferment for about 4 weeks and bottle.

If you collect extra work after your main sparge, you can just can it in mason jars with a pressure cooker and use it for starter wort.

Thanks for the tip...will keep that in mind if this happens again. Though hopefully next time I will just calculate my volumes correctly :confused:

I don't get what the big deal is here. Why didn't you just keep the extra gallon with the rest of the batch and end up with a little more in the fermenter?

Or were you just wanting to make a gallon batch out of it that was different than the DFH main batch?

Because I can only fit so much wort into my BK. 8 gallons of wort, and a BK that can only handle 7 gallons. Which leaves me with an extra gallon to do something with.

Back