Extension Cord Solution for 220 V System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arminius757

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a newer brewer when it comes to 220V set ups, and I would like to NOT electrocute myself or others. As such, I have a bit of a newbie question.

I am looking to get a Brewtools B40, which uses a NEMA 6-20 plug. My current intention is to hook up into my dryer outlet in the basement, which will also let me pull water off the washer.
My dryer has a NEMA 14-30 plug. I found the following cord which seems to solve my issue.

Would this work?

Secondly, I know that I need GFI. Is there a way to get a cord with this included similar to ones you can find for 110V cords? Is there somewhere I could get a custom cord? Should I just look at installing a GFI in my breaker box? I hesitate to do anything permanent, as I am renting the house. Thus my wish to use the dry plug. When I get my own place, I will get a custom circuit installed.

Thanks for the help!

I don't see link to cord. An adapter cord should work, but be aware that the dryer circuit is 30 amps and you are going to 20 amp plug, so you will not have full overload protection from breaker. I would not worry about that too much as you will still have catastrophic short protection form the 30A breaker, but others would probably advise you not to do it, and you are more likely to damage your equipment if there is an internal short.

If you don't use dryer at all, a 220V GFI 20A breaker would be the correct choice for panel.

I am not aware of any GFI cords in 220V, but probably one is made somewhere, and probably expensive.

I don't see link to cord. An adapter cord should work, but be aware that the dryer circuit is 30 amps and you are going to 20 amp plug, so you will not have full overload protection from breaker. I would not worry about that too much as you will still have catastrophic short protection form the 30A breaker, but others would probably advise you not to do it, and you are more likely to damage your equipment if there is an internal short.

If you don't use dryer at all, a 220V GFI 20A breaker would be the correct choice for panel.

I am not aware of any GFI cords in 220V, but probably one is made somewhere, and probably expensive.

Sorry, seems the link didn't work...

This

Would a 220V GFI 20A drop into a normal panel? Or do I need something special like a spa panel?

Thanks for your help!

A web search for "in line GFCI 30a" yields numerous sources in case you don't go for the panel breaker upgrade. Cost may be a wash if you hire an electrician for the panel breaker. Best of luck with your project!

Many folks have had luck with the
Southwire 25000016-6 120V/20A and 240V/20A, Dual Voltage In-Line User Attachable GFCI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SBV6BE/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Here is a link on how to put it all together:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/power-cord-with-inline-240v-gfi-protection.674779/
Unfortunately the Southwire is out of stock currently on Amazon, hopefully not for long.

The only difference in your case would be to use a NEMA 6-20 rather than a plug compatible with the Anvil Foundry on the line.

The wall side with the NEMA 14-30 (with the neutral bar removed) plug should be the same for you.

Last edited:
Sorry, seems the link didn't work...

This

Would a 220V GFI 20A drop into a normal panel? Or do I need something special like a spa panel?

Thanks for your help!

If that plug fits your receptacle on one end and the appliance on the other, it should work.

A 220V 20A GFI will fit in panel the same way as the current dryer outlet 30 A breaker, assuming a normal set up. It does have to be a breaker for the make & model of panel you have, ie Cutler Hammer or Square D or other brand, and also the model of panel, for instance Square D has a two grades panel available to consumer, and the breakers are not interchangeable. Look at lable on service panel to determine what breaker to buy, if you decide to go that route.

Putting a GFCI in your main panel may not be compatible with your dryer. Many dryers "cheat" and use the ground as the return current path for 120V control circuitry in the dryer. If your dryer does this, then it will trip the GFCI every time it is used. However if your dryer is properly configured to take advantage of the 4-wire (H-H-N-G) provided by the 14-30 receptacle, then you would be fine. Many modern dryers can be configured either way.

Brew on :mug:

Back