Extending a mini-fridge into a fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squiggy_j

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a mostly unused mini-fridge sitting around that I'd like to use as a fermentation chamber. I'm thinking I can add a plywood collar to the front of it to extend it out to fit two 5 gallon buckets. Some things I'm looking for input on are:

• Will this be effective?
  • Will adding some rubber feet on to the collar be enough to support all the extra weight in the front?
  • I will insulate the sides and top of the collar with styrofoam, but what should I use on the bottom where the weight of the buckets will sit?

Thanks in advance for the input!

I made one like this using a small fridge. I had the bigger dorm-sized fridge. Used plywood to build a box around it (sides, top and bottom), leaving the back open of course. for the bottom, I just used a long piece of plywood and set the fridge ON it, then I used the 1" pink insulation from HD to make the bottom of the chamber more or less even with the inside bottom of the fridge. Now that I think about it, I think I used 1/2" insulation, but doubled it up.

Regardless, it works great. I can get it down in the 40's no problem. I even cut a piece of the insulation slightly taller than the inside of the chamber, so I can put it in and wedge it...effectively making it have 2 separate chambers. The temp difference between the 2 sides is about 10-15 degrees. I only do this if I am fermenting a lager on the cold side (about 50F) and an ale on the warmer side (about 60F). I don't do lagers often, though, since this fridge won't get down to 30F for lagering.

works great, but I don't have a pic. I'll try to remember to get one tonight if you are curious.

Here's mine. It does awesome. I used plywood to frame it up. And used 1 inch foam insulation like everyone else. Then I made a eBay temp controller. For the bottom where the carboys sit I set a few 2x4s on the bottom layer then insulated around the 2x4s then put another layer of plywood on top to keep from smashing the foam. If you build one you won't regret it. In the pic the fridge is on the left kinda hard to see cuz it's black.

image-928340240.jpg

My thoughts are I have a second kegerator and I want to build an insulated box on top of it and a fan on a thermostat to blow air up from the kegerator to keep the box at fermentation temperatures.
Any ideas on whether this would work or ideas how to improve the design?

Back