Extended Fermentation/Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Would extended fermentation, say 3-4 weeks have an effect on bottle conditioning/carbonation?

I let a Porter sit in the fermenter for approx 30 days and the carbonation in the bottle seems verly low.

I've got a bourbon barrel porter that I bottled May 27th. It's never really picked up carbonation since the first few weeks. I love the flavor of it, but the carbonation is a disappointment. They say it will improve in the months and years ahead. I hope that includes the carbonation.

Damn HBT app....I can't see my reply after about 4 lines so I have no idea if I misspell or apple decides to auto "correct" anything.

So.....Brewed a porter back in July. Sat in the fermenter for about 30 days then bottled. Been in the bottle for 4 weeks and almost ZERO carbonation. Sucks because I wanted to submit to a competition if for nothing else, to get unbiased comments. Has really good flavor but I doubt it would get fair comments due to lack of carbonation.

Had that happen to a stout once. Had some success by moving the bottles to a warmer location and tipping the bottles to stir up the yeast; trying to reactivate them.

I have just about convinced myself that there was too little yeast still suspended in the wert when I tranferred to the bottling bucket. My batch was a little larger than I planned, a little more than 5.5 gals. I only had enough bottles for 5 gals, so I thought I was ok leaving the last 2 qts in the carboy. I could keep the settled yeast out. Great idea if I had been kegging....Looking back, I wish I had pushed the cane down a little further and rustled up some of that yeast.

Back