Express brewing and krausen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie313

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew a Scottish 60/ using the techniques in Drew Beechum's express brewing article from the Nov/Dec 2011 issue of zymurgy. I brewed this past Thursday night and pitched around 930pm. I used white labs wlp 028 Edinburgh yeast, a 1 liter starter was made. Fermentation was in a temp controlled freezer set to 65-67F. Today is the 5th day of fermentation and the krausen hasn't dropped yet. If I cold crash will the krausen drop allowing me to keg. I would like to have it on tap this Friday.

Probably, but it doesnt seem to be done fermenting, what is the gravity? This will be an inferior 60/ at best if halted before completion.

5 days is pretty fast for any beer really. You could have it on tap by Friday, but it probably won't be at it's full potential that quick.

I think the real question is going to be: where's your gravity at?

If your gravity is sufficiently low and the beer itself tastes clean (e.g. no diacetyl, etc) - then I would aggressively cold crash the beer in the low 30's.

Sometimes some of these yeasts will keep a krausen up even though the job of fermenting is all done.

most of my english strains always have 1/4in of krausen even after 2 weeks. Check gravity and confirm the ferment is complete before kegging

Back