Exploding bottles while driving??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tleer8239

Reaction score
My husband has made beer to bring to Nebraska for my grandparents anniversary party. Our neighbor just told him last night that a friend of his recently drove there also, but his beer exploded due to the vibration I guess.

Has anyone had this experience? I dont want beer all over the car!

Any thoughts on preventing this?

Let's see...

- Put them in something that keeps the cold well
- Make sure there's as little headspace as possible in the bottle. This will make it hard for the CO2 to condensate, since it requires compression of whatever's in the bottles (and liquids are essentially uncompressable)
- If possible have the bottles standing up, and don't use bottles with any markings on the inside. This makes it harder for the CO2 to condensate, since it needs an irregular surface to form.

Those are just guesses, though (except the keep them cold one) - I've never really looked into the physics of it. I'm sure someone else will be of more assistance.

Good idea! I was just thinking, that we should put them in a cooler of ice, and that way, if they do explode, it will be in the cooler and not all over the vehicle!

I've hauled 50 bottles, in two milk crates, in the trunk of the car from east TN to Houston, TX several times including the summer. Never had bottles break much less explode.

If your bottles a properly carbonated I wouldn't worry about it anymore than I would with commercial beers. Keeping them in a cooler with ice is always a good idea though that way they can be drank when you arrive!

Thanks for the input! After hearing what you all have said and talking to my husband more, Im sure we have nothing to worry about! We are going to pack them in coolers though, just in case.....

You shouldn't have to worry about it at all. They're just like commercial bottles. No precautions are necessary.

I just transported a 12 pack of home brew 250 miles on the back of my Harley this past weekend with no problems. If that didn't burst them, noting will.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

I just transported 8 cases of 12 ozers, and a milk crate of 22+ oz bottles 250 miles to school. It was in the bed of my truck with the sun on them (they were covered by less important things...like my duffel bags of clothes). I didn't have a single one blow!

My guess is itt has to be something with overcarbonation in the first place!

You should have no problems transporting your beer as long as you DON'T leave it sit in a VERY hot car. Like any other sealed container it could explode. But under normal conditions (like your beer was properly fermented completely and an appropriate amount of priming sugar was used) it will be fine.

Or, wait for Revvy. He is the only one who knows the truth and the way.

Awesome dude. So you hate Revvy and now you think you should waste my time and everyone else's time with bogus account #2

You should get out of homebrewing, because you are everything you hate about Revvy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back