Exploding airlock and LOTS of crap on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Embyr

Reaction score
I made the Brewers Best English Brown Ale last night and put the fermenter (glass carboy, 5 gal) in a dark, temp-steady place over night. It was okay this morning when I looked, but had "exploded" out the airlock when I came home from work at 6:00 this evening. I'm fairly sure the airlock got plugged because there's a very large amount of sludge packed in the "head space" of the carboy. Two questions:

1. Is the beer ruined?
2. If not, how do I proceed?

I can provide additional details if necessary. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, one more thing: this is my second home brew. Ever.

1. Your beer will be fine
2. Pull your airlock, rinse, resanitize, replace
3. Grab a beer
4. Profit

Thats what my gut was telling me to do, which is good. Problem is, its oooooooozing foam. Any reason not to follow the "rinse, repeat" advice?

You used a 5 gal carboy for a 5 gal batch, I assume. You need a 6.5 gal to give you enough head space.

Your beer's fine.

Yeah, if you used a 5 gallon carboy for your 5 gallon batch, you didn't allow any space for krausen. If this is the case, you should really rig up a blowoff tube or else you'll constantly be cleaning your airlock and other potential messes. Have some siphon tubing you could sanitize and use as a blowoff tube?

I do, as a matter of fact. Is it as easy as running the hose thru the stopper and into some water on the other end?

If it's still foaming over attach a sanitized blow off tube(the vinyl tube from your racking cane should work) to the carboy bung, and place the other end in a pot or pan slightly submerged in sanitizing solution.

Welcome to the club! I still have some hops on my garage ceiling. It reminds me to use a blow off tube to start fermentation.:ban:

1. Your beer will be fine
2. Pull your airlock, rinse, resanitize, replace
3. Grab a beer
4. Profit

I just brewed the first beer last night - came home - and this exact same situation happened to me. Totally did this exact same thing - resanitized the airlock and placed it back on my car boy.

... Then had a cold brew. :D

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers! :mug:

Back