Explain your handle / De construct your avatar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumbaa was a nickname given to me in the fire acedamy after eating a swarm of gnats . . . long story . . . but used to use it for MMORPGs as well until recently when I retire the character Pumbaa

I figured the avatar was more apropriate for this board then the one I usually use considering it's a brew board and not a political board. Below is my normal avatar.
2086-federalTerroristPermit.gif

Well, my wife calls me Dog (don't ask me why) and I'm a little bit on the jaded side so Jaded Dog.

My current avatar is a tattoo I got several years ago, it's a derivative of the compass rose but I wanted to modify it a bit to make it unique.

bump.

Lots of new people and I need to know.

Also some others missed this the first time around.

Calling out:
aekdbbop
Torchiest
Fiery Sword

Doctor Emmett Brown, inventor of the flux capacitor and enabler of some punk kid named Marty.

DIB is my intials and the BY was just to make it more interesting. the 33 was added at some point because somebody had dibby somewhere, can't remember where.

Haggis is my nickname in Tasmania. I am also refered to as Father David as I was slipped a mikey in a bar once, went outside, fell onto the road and needed three staples in my head which was of course shaved like a father. That was an interesting night. ergo ArchBishop - I have self promoted.
The castle 'cause I am Scottish.

My current avatar is Cheese, from Milk 'N' Cheese comics. They're a hunk of cheese and a carton of milk that run around drunk wreaking havoc on people.

Fun%20With%20Milk%20And%20Cheese%20big.jpg

My name is Ed or Edward, and wort is unfermented beer, and EdWort was a login name that was not taken, cause someone beat me to Cheesefood.:cross:

I lived in Germany, speak German, and travel there several times a year, so this German guy blowing a little foam seemed appropriate for me. Ja? Und so?

First off - excellent thread. I've been wondering what ollllo was all about this entire time.....among others.

Fiery Sword is cherrypicked from the lines of "Transport is Arranged", a song by a band called Pavement. In '99 I was playing guitar for a few bands and played a bunch of local Boston clubs all the time. Friend-of-a-friend was buddies with Stephen Malkmus (singer/guitarist for said band) and by some grace of God (and a once-in-a-lifetime string of good luck) I played along with that song, on stage, at the Roxy when Pavement came through town. It was kind of like an extended encore type thing and it was a highlight of any moment I've ever had in music. :rockin: The moment I signed up for this board, Transport Is Arranged popped up in a iTunes shuffle and it all came together.

The avatar is a different story entirely. The architectural firm I work for did a facility of a local public elementary and middle school whose charter was to focus on the studies of marine biology and ecology. Very interesting little school - it was a 100% public program that had been running in New Bedford, MA for decades but never had it's own facility. Regardless, they wanted some signage and logo type-stuff so for a few weeks all I was drawing and doodling involved marine-related items. The actual avatar was a the result of a midnight tangent where I found myself drawing marine-themed tattoos. This one stuck, and it's now in the collection on my right shoulder.

......Those stories would have been much, much shorter if I laid off the Mead all night....:drunk: ......got to stop drinking this...it was supposed to age until summer!!!

TxBrew said:
I took my name after the famous Civil War hero Texas Brewoski. He was a rootin, tootin, fighting machine who single handled killed an entire Yankee regiment with only 1 leg and 1 arm.
...thinking of changing name to William Tecumseh Sherman.....:D :D

Well... Trinitone has been my online persona since Al Gore unleashed this internet thing. It comes from a Stereolab song. I was quite into the band when the time came around for choosing my first online pseudonym. Avatar is also courtesy of the band and is the album cover for their 1992 7" Harmonium b/w Farfisa.

Prowler 13 is a model of fishing kayak. I started using that name on fishing forums and because I have senior moments too often, I use the same name and password for all my forums. That way when I go to log in, I don't have to wait a few days until I think of it and have a pen and paper to hand.

Sometimes getting older isn't all it is cracked up to be. Then again, it has it's benefits!:tank:

Mine is easy.

I read the news a LOT, and often, I knew the outcome or next step simply by knowing history and human nature.

That being said, since I often knew that something was going to happen in the news, I became the knewshound.

Now that I write opinion and humor for the web and it seems to fit better than ever.

Cheers,

knewshound

The Avatar is self explanatory. (One of my favorite brews and my house ale)
The Handle.

I used to post on a local forum and I used my name and my area due to there being a few Daves. So it was Orford dave. Other users shortened to Orfy. It stuck on other forums and I've only ever had it unavailable once.

Well, I started out as Kai. Which is my first name and was rather non-creative. Then I changed it to "King Kai" which is the name of a Dragonballz character. My wife got the action figure for me b/c she thought that it was cute that it had my name (the is also Supreme Kai for which I have the action figure as well). Changing from "Kai" to "King Kai" actually started the series of promotions that created the Chairman and the Baron. Walker pointed out that I should call myself Kaiser and I though that was a good idea since (American) friends of mine have been calling me Kaiser once in a while, joking that Kai must be short for Kaiser. And because I'm German that made even more sense for them. So I adopted this name and avatar.

But this only works well in America since it would be taken the wrong way if I were to call myself "Kaiser" on German discussion boards. Kai not an uncommon name and nobody would see the humorous connection to Kaiser.

Kai

Awesome thread, didn't see it until this morning. My name:

In early 1991 I discovered my first bulletin board, and I needed a handle. I tried my name, Joe, which was of course already taken, and lots of variations, all of which were taken. I've always been a video game player, and my grandparents had gotten me a Fantastic Four adventure game for Christmas. It was a terrible game, but I thought The Human Torch was a pretty cool character , so I decided to use that, and it was available. Once I got into the BBS scene, people started calling me Torchie for short. I started using that when the Internet came into full swing. Unfortunately, other people use that too, so I changed it to Torchiest to distinguish myself. Kinda like the promotion war you guys had. I've never seen anyone else use it, so I stopped even trying to use Torchie, because I was getting confused about which sites had which name. But I still have a number of places I've been on for years that use the old name, and in fact, I have to keep a text file listing which sites use which name, so I guess I'm screwed anyway.

The current avatar is the label for my "flagship" beer. I may change it to some Human Torch pic soon though.

My handle is rather self-explanatory based on where I live.

As for my avatar; they change like the wind. That was my mood when I decided to change it. Love dogs but I actually dislike pitbulls; or more often than not their a$$hole owners in most cases who don't understand how to train dominant dogs into being safe dogs amongst children and small horses :(.

desertBrew said:
My handle is rather self-explanatory based on where I live.

As for my avatar; they change like the wind. That was my mood when I decided to change it. Love dogs but I actually dislike pitbulls; or more often than not their a$$hole owners in most cases who don't understand how to train dominant dogs into being safe dogs amongst children and small horses :(.

:off: Pit Bulls are banned in this Country and are shot onsite.
A little girl of 5 was killed in the next town by her uncle's dog. Sorry But it's the thick relatives who killed the child. You can't blame a gun for killing someone.

orfy said:
:off: Pit Bulls are banned in this Country and are shot onsite.
A little girl of 5 was killed in the next town by her uncle's dog. Sorry But it's the thick relatives who killed the chilled. You can't blame a gun for killing someone.

I don't want to fly into this subject either, but we've probably had a dozen small children (and horses) killed in the US this past year by these dogs. 2 in the past week. Most people who have a pitbull are the polar opposite of the kinds of people that should have one or could handle one. Ok, time for an avatar change...

Hey, I have a pit bull (mix), AND a little girl...

babywearingdaddy1.jpg

He's great with her, never had a problem. I was a little nervous at first because he was such a handful when he was a pup, but he's just a complete sweetheart. He's got a lot of lab in him, but still - you look at him, he's a pit.

Honestly, I don't mind that he's a little intimidating, and a little protective of the homefront. Pits are known for their intense loyalty, which is why they get used so often as protection animals, but there is nothing inherently evil about pit bulls.

(Damn, I'm the thread killer!).

You got it right Bird. It's all about knowing your animal though & not a lot of pit owners do IMO. I had a 120lb male doberman that was the biggest baby after he was "broke in" but he needed to be taught with an iron fist when he was young. Many a times I had to throw him on his back; lay on him with his throat in my mouth to teach him who the real boss was :D. And make sure he knew it again when he'd get skittish with people when I was around and didn't tell him there was a problem. He still knew how to be a protector of the domain and still interact with other dogs etc.

Oh yea, my son's got a 2 yr old female pit bull as well and a 2 mo old. I've met the dog; know my son's "dog skills" and we're all good.

Good dog, good owner - no problem.
Bad dog, good owner - no problem.
Good dog, bad owner - probable problem.
Bad dog, bad owner - dead kid.

I hope the people involved get jailed.

desertBrew said:
Many a times I had to throw him on his back; lay on him with his throat in my mouth to teach him who the real boss was :D.

Sorry to be :off:

We took him to Puppy Kindergarden, and that was by far the most useful thing that we learned, how to put him in submissive. I still have to do it occassionally - I still like to horseplay with him a little bit on occassion, but he sometimes doens't get when to settle down. Or, if I haven't been able to walk him, he gets a little jittery and sometimes needs to be reminded that, regardless of his gender, HE'S the ***** in our relationship. It's been tough to keep him from getting overexciting when we have visitors, but hell - that's why I fenced in the backyard!

You got it right Bird; submissive and social is the most important thing on training dominant dogs. Social is tough if you don't do it right away as they're puppies. Not tug of war, and wack it around to make it tough. Errhh!! I worked in a dog training place and learned a lot back in my late teens/early 20's

Evil Dog history: in the 70's it was German Shepards, 80's Dobermans, 90's Rotties, 00's Pit Bulls. Only constant was the dumb ass owners. I'm figuring Rhodesian Ridgeback's will be the next "tough dog" up and coming who'd probably kick all their arses. Seeing as they like to take on lions in Africa and all. ;)

Mine is pretty straitforward. I just used the first 3 letters of my last name and added Brew to it. My currrent avatar is my brewery logo, which I still think looks kind of cheesy and needs to be improved somehow.

the_bird said:
Hey, I have a pit bull (mix), AND a little girl...

babywearingdaddy1.jpg

He's great with her, never had a problem. I was a little nervous at first because he was such a handful when he was a pup, but he's just a complete sweetheart. He's got a lot of lab in him, but still - you look at him, he's a pit.

Honestly, I don't mind that he's a little intimidating, and a little protective of the homefront. Pits are known for their intense loyalty, which is why they get used so often as protection animals, but there is nothing inherently evil about pit bulls.

So are you skipping to Cumby's in that pic?

I'm a total dog lover, but I can't figure out why people own pitbulls. It's all the strength of a bulldog mixed with the ferocity of a terrier. It's a race car, just waiting to get in the red.

Pitbulls were bred to be aggressive and they've yet to have those traits bred out of them. Take a look at the history of the bulldog and see how long it took to make those dogs gentle.

I could handle a world where the pitbull was extinct.

I am with you cheese.

Dogs are animals. Animals can turn on someone for no appearent reason. If one can manage to own a pitbull with no problems then you got luckly. I know, i know, other dogs bite people too, the difference is this, when was the last time you heard of a poodle killing a child? whats that you say? never?

When growing up i lived a few houses down from the nastiest poodle to walk this earth and he bite me a couple times while riding my bike past the house and to this day have yet to die from his bite.

Pitbulls and rotweilers should both be irradicated from this earth.

Fiery Sword said:
Man, this thread has taken a sinister turn!!!! I like the original topic better!!! :D
No joke. And to get it back on track, I need to change part of my story as I changed my avatar. As you can see, it is now a pretty little Cylon centurion. I've been on a Battlestar kick as of late and thought I would switch things up a bit.

Yeah, sorry. Back on track.

My name comes from a fight I broke up a LLOONNNNGGGGG time ago. Two guys did not know that my smaller friend had a buddy (me 6'6" 275) drinking in the other room.

The started picking a fight with him and I intervened. He said later that i gave them a holy a$$ kicking, although i remember them just leaving with nothing but some shoving exchanged. He started calling me Reverend. Then doing morning radio some years later i went by my initials JC.

I suppose reverend fits me more because of the fact i am a pretty passive person, but what ever, its a better name the D!ck head.

OK, sorry to be :off: but I had to chime in on the whole pitbull issue. Personally, I prefer not to own them and wouldn't choose one if I wanted another dog. HOWEVER, Orfy was right on...If you properly train your dogs, they will not be a problem unless they get abused. (talking long term violent abuse here). I have taken all my dogs to training camps. I am confident in my abilities to train them, but I feel the camps also give them exposure to other dogs in a confined area which is an excellent way to socialize them and teach them how to behave. My current retriever is still a puppy and really pushes my buttons sometimes, but I know that he will come around. With all of my other dogs, once they were trained & out of the puppy stage, I took them on walks with no leash and they never left my side unless I told them to. When they were away from me, one whistle was all it took for them to come tearing over and return to the heel position. I know a trainer that only owns pit bulls and they are the sweetest most well behaved dogs I have ever seen. So, don't blame the dog, blame the owner. You may now return to your regularly scheduled brewing.

Hopfan said:
OK, sorry to be :off: but I had to chime in on the whole pitbull issue. Personally, I prefer not to own them and wouldn't choose one if I wanted another dog. HOWEVER, Orfy was right on...If you properly train your dogs, they will not be a problem unless they get abused.

Not quite true. IF you get a dog from a decent breeder AND train them properly AND socialize them properly, you will not have a problem MOST of the time.

The problem is that MOST dog owners don't do these things. With a small dog or one that doesn't have aggressive tendencies, this is not that big of a deal most of the time. BUT, when you combine an average owner with a potentially dangerous dog, there in a good chance for problems.

I'll just say this - If someone moved next door to me that had a pit bull, I'd have a SERIOUS problem with them.

My avatar? It's a topic changer that I started (self imposed *******). I can only wear this one for so long however.

desertBrew said:
My avatar? It's a topic changer that I started (self imposed *******). I can only where this one for so long however.
That thing looks like a lab puppy peeking out a sheep's aZZ. :D

Fiery Sword said:
That thing looks like a lab puppy peeking out a sheep's aZZ. :D

Ohhhh **** thats funny. I had to look twice as the tears in my eyes from laughing clouded my vision!

Toilet Rocker said:
My avatar is of a young GG Allin, the creator of all that is great and scummy.

Heh...nice change. I have to admit that I always pronounced your old handle as "Gay Leon." :D

Back