Explain your handle / De construct your avatar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The name is pretty self explanitory. My last name is Smith and I brew. It wasn't taken as a username so I nabbed it. Plus Smith is kinda the suffix of a craftsman (blacksmith, gunsmith, locksmith etc.) so it fit perfectly with homebrewing.

I am also a musician so my avitars usually have something to do with music, with the handle referring to the picture. My first avitar was of myself holding my tuba and a homebrew with the handle "Tubas and Beer". After the forementioned name changing fiasco I was temporarily Maestro Brewsmith. My handle avitar was then a picture of Beethoven with the handle "Sax-a-ma-phone", a quote from The Simpsons of Homer trying to play the theme from Beethoven's 5th Symphony on Lisa's saxaphone. My avitar changed to a photo of Gustav Mahler, with the handle changing to the title of each movement of his 1st symphony in German. The current avitar is of a helicon, an antiquated version of the tuba used for marching, the precursor of thhe modern sousaphone. "Beer powered Helicon" is pretty self explantory.

My name's not Andre, its Andrew. I'm not really a giant, I'm only 6'2". I don't like wrestling. BUT... I thought Andre the Giant's performance in 'The Princess Bride' was hilarious, and hell, he's dead.... He ain't using the name anymore.

The avatar was something I found when looking around for picts of Andre the Giant for my avatar... Some nutso group uses his image with messages like "Obey" and "Conform" I actually saw one of the Mythbuster guys wearing a OBEYGIANT shirt in an episode. I thought it was different, and sorta cool. So I stuck with it.

Oh, and I'm an infidel of extraordinary character.....

My dog's name is Floyd (see gallery) and he is a bit of a spaz. When he was a puppy he was worse and at about 9pm every night (the witching hour as we came to call it) he would just freak out and do laps around our apartment for about 10 minutes. During a trip to NJ to visit my parents, he did his little freak out and my dad called him Hurricane Floyd after well......Hurricane Floyd.

As for the avatar, it's Surly from Duffland on The Simpsons! Duff Beer for me! Duff Beer for you! I'll have a Duff, you'll have one too! It was there take on the 7 Dwarfs but instead of Dwarfs they were all guys in beer suits. Surly is very sarcastic, just like me!

Desert is where I live and Brew is what I do. Not much more than that. My avatar changes often enough but speed brewing is what I'm into currently since it's too stinkin hot out to take it slow. Fall is coming though!!!

loopmd is my last name, middle name initial and first name initial backwards. D.M. Pool.....loopmd. The name of my bar is the "loophole" I've been flirting around for years for a logo to go with the loophole so I could have a neon sign made for it. After googling around for a "loop" I came across my avatar. It is a yo-yo doing a loop. Not near as creative as the rest of you, but it will suffice.

This place rocks :rockin:

loop

HurricaneFloyd said:
My dog's name is Floyd (see gallery) and he is a bit of a spaz. ............. he was just freak out and do laps around our apartment for about 10 minutes.

that's freakin hilarious!

Stef: Data where are you going?
Data: I'm setting booty traps.
Stef: You mean booby traps?
Data: THATS WHAT I SAID! BOOBY TRAPS! God. These Guys!

I love that movie and go around quoting it all the time.

A friend called me bootytrapper once and the nic stuck!

I chose my name for the obvious political reasons.

I chose my avatar because I was pushing Tx's limits previously and had to go with something safe.

As for the handle....well it is a rather long story. It starts with a hunting trip to upper Michigan, one morning while sitting in a tree, I had two deer sneak up beside me. I was using my shotgun with a new scope attached, I slowly turned and aimed the gun through the new scope, not taking into account the proximity of the branches around me, I squeeeezed her off and just knew I had one deer in the bag, took aim on the second that by this time had mad a mad dash away from the tree I was in. I sat in the tree for a long time. When i finally got down to go have a look, I walked to the spot the I had aimed and...... No deer, no hair, blood or any other sign of a hit. I looked for a long while with still no sign, so I turned to look at the tree where I was sitting to make sure I was in the correct spot and what do I see...... One very large tree branch hanging by a thread. As I said it was a new scope and I had to figure out the hard way to use the iron sights at times like that. Well the next morning we get up to go home and wouldn't you know it my smart @$$ buddies had strapped that dang HUGE branch to the top of the truck. I have yet to live that one down and hence the handle

On occasion, my smart @$$ buddies drop by the house and strap a large branch to my vehicle or some thing silly like that. I have a feeling I will never live this one down, LOL

My avatar is one of my dogs, all the dogs I have had in the past would pee all over the trees, first thing upon letting them out. Just figured the avatar and name went together.

Mine - initials plain and simple.

Loopmd your avatar looks like a boy-swimmer trying to escape........

Skol!

I took my name after the famous Civil War hero Texas Brewoski. He was a rootin, tootin, fighting machine who single handled killed an entire Yankee regiment with only 1 leg and 1 arm.

My real name is spelled similarly to Cheyco, and one time long ago someone sent me a fax and got my name wrong as being 'Cheyco.' The guys I was working with thought it sounded like a '70s cop show name and it stuck. We wrote a pilot for 'Cheyco C.E.T.' but none of the networks were interested in a mechanical engineering drama. Go figure...
Chairman is from the 'Promotion Wars' a few months back and also refers to 'Iron Brewer.'

Avatar= usually random nonsense.

Originally Posted by HurricaneFloyd
My dog's name is Floyd (see gallery) and he is a bit of a spaz. ............. he was just freak out and do laps around our apartment for about 10 minute

If you are in a group of Greyhound owners and say, "Tornado Dance", they all know what you are taking about. Imagine a 60-90 lb superball doing 45 mph in a tight loop.

david_42 said:
If you are in a group of Greyhound owners and say, "Tornado Dance", they all know what you are taking about. Imagine a 60-90 lb superball doing 45 mph in a tight loop.

And I thought my chocolate labs butt-tuck "ass-haul" mode was bad... That's when he rears up and his hind feet are nearly in front of his front feet as he hauls serious arse around the house with a big sheit-eating grin on his face. SWMBO'd's face is a look of sheer terror. "He's going to break something!"

olllllo, even though you explained how your username works, I'm sorry but I'll always see []-O-[] as what I originally thought it was: a TIE fighter. I can't un-see it!

As for my username, my wife's name is Jhonette, but she has a family nickname of Joni. We are a lot alike, so we're like twins. Even though she is pure evil, (hi honey if you're reading this, love you!) I didn't want to be the GOOD twin, I still wanted to be the evil one.

lorenae, get an avatar that's punky! *runs away*

Definitely an interesting thread. I lurk more than I post, but here's my 2 cents.

Nobes - Nickname that follows me where ever I go. My last name is Nobles.

341 - Days spent traveling the countryside of the Anbar Province (Ramadi, Fallujah, Al Qaim, Haditha, etc etc) in Iraq as Sgt Nobles, US Marine Corps.

Any other former Leathernecks out there?

This is a great thread.

I don't remember where I found this image, but I had it on my computer for a while. When I joined the forum, the image popped into my head and the name just rolled onto the keyboard.

Real name is Craig... I use to own a 1973 formula firebird with original Cragar rims when I was younger. Friends just started calling me Cragar, I decided to change the spelling to "Cregar".

73_Firebird_2.jpg

Cregar said:
Real name is Craig... I use to own a 1973 formula firebird with original Cragar rims when I was younger. Friends just started calling me Cragar, I decided to change the spelling to "Cregar".

73_Firebird_2.jpg
Nice car! Wouldn't you like to still have it?

Okay, I was going to keep you all guessing, but after reading the other responses I suppose I'll play.

I tend to pick handles that have multiple layers and meaning, for instance, I used to play alot of MMORPG's and played alot of thief or rogue type characters. My usual name was "Vhael" as I was a secretive type that acted honorable, but would rob you blind after stabbing you in the back and dancing on your still warm corpse, then disappearing into the shadows. So, Vhael was a veil of sorts, of my identity as a user, the nature of my character, and duty of my deeds.

So...

I also played alot of "Online Shooters" during this time (TBB=Time Before Baby) and would combine my love for the bubbly brew with my love of a good deathmatch and would invariably become "railgun fodder" as the night drew on and my brew drew gone. Thus, I became Spyk'd and Spyk'd. I also had hair that stood up and some SS through my, er...ahem...

So I was Spyk'd four ways.

There you go!
:mug:

lorenae said:
Oh, great- now I'll have to get a new avatar!

Lorena

IMHO, no way...

While maybe historically correct, I think it's an outdated term. (Sorry Bill) I'm 40, and "Brewster" to me conjures in my mind an only occasionally funny Richard Pryor movie. (I'll take "Wanted: Live in Concert" on vinyl, cassette or cd any day)

"Brewmistress" seems to me more in keeping with the age of which we live. AND it's a kicka$$ AV. :rockin:

Ize

Treekiller said:
As for the handle....well it is a rather long story. It starts with a hunting trip to upper Michigan, one morning while sitting in a tree, I had two deer sneak up beside me. I was using my shotgun with a new scope attached, I slowly turned and aimed the gun through the new scope, not taking into account the proximity of the branches around me, I squeeeezed her off and just knew I had one deer in the bag, took aim on the second that by this time had mad a mad dash away from the tree I was in. I sat in the tree for a long time. When i finally got down to go have a look, I walked to the spot the I had aimed and...... No deer, no hair, blood or any other sign of a hit. I looked for a long while with still no sign, so I turned to look at the tree where I was sitting to make sure I was in the correct spot and what do I see...... One very large tree branch hanging by a thread. As I said it was a new scope and I had to figure out the hard way to use the iron sights at times like that. Well the next morning we get up to go home and wouldn't you know it my smart @$$ buddies had strapped that dang HUGE branch to the top of the truck. I have yet to live that one down and hence the handle

that's a great story. i like your friends. :D

Ize said:
IMHO, no way...

While maybe historically correct, I think it's an outdated term. (Sorry Bill) I'm 40, and "Brewster" to me conjures in my mind an only occasionally funny Richard Pryor movie.

Ize

Well, I'm almost 30, so all I think of the fabulous hit tv show "Punky Brewster".

Yeah, thirty year olds, don't act like you don't remember. ;)

Monk said:
Well, I'm almost 30, so all I think of the fabulous hit tv show "Punky Brewster".

Yeah, thirty year olds, don't act like you don't remember. ;)

LOL, that "still feeling like 20 something" feeling...:drunk:

Yeah, I still get that at 40....;)

A note from school RE: the 10 year old, and a good crotch-rack from the 2 year old quickly removes that feeling however....

"And so there is beer"

Ize

:off: Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

SBN said:
Mine - initials plain and simple.

Loopmd your avatar looks like a boy-swimmer trying to escape........

Skol!

Oh, crap. Now I have no choice but to find a new one.

LOL Loop

Before I got into computer operations in the '70s I was a stuntman. My boss/buddy thought it was cool and changed my employee name to Wild. To this day all my friends call me wild.
I'll pick up an avatar someday.

Wild

RichBrewer said:
Nice car! Wouldn't you like to still have it?

Hell ya!!! I get online every once in awhile to check prices and for one in that condition, they are going for close to $15,000. Damn... I had bought it for $1,500 :)

Originally Posted by lorenae
Oh, great- now I'll have to get a new avatar!

Lorena

Absolutely not! The only Brewster I know is male, doesn't brew and there aren't enough cows in Kansas to cover him in leather!

Got here late, but here goes... magno, originally el magno, is a nickname given to me by my mom when I was in elementry school. We had stories on tape that we would listen to on the way. We had the story of Daniel Boone, Benjamin Franklin and many more including, my favorite, El Magno Terror of the Amazon. It was about a couple people going to the Amazon to track and trap this ginormous anaconda. We listened to that so much, we hardly got around to the others. I have been looking for a copy of that tape for a while now with no luck.

As for an avatar.... Tx, I'm gonna do you right one of these days, I really do plan on upgrading.

Great thread.

- magno

Back