Explain to me why people don’t use this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew2

Reaction score
I am currently 90% of the way to having a Kal / Aubiecat inspired electric BIAB setup and I find this…

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/electric-waterbath-canner-with-spigot/p/FP0857/

Granted my setup is bigger (read more expensive) at 15 gallons but why wouldn’t this work for someone wanting 5 gallon batches? I will have a little over 1K in my equipment when it is up and running. If this would work I could have saved myself several hundred dollars.

sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see anything similar with a quick search.

Because one could very very easily build one for less than $300. Honestly, I'm not sure how you spent more than $300 for your 15 gallon. Is there more than one kettle?

Also, because DIY is more fun (for some people.)

1400 watts wouldn't be enough to get a good rolling boil going with the lid off. If you could get there, it would surely take a long time.

DOAT! - I wish I knew about this a week ago. I'm building a coil heat exchanger for my new system and this would have been perfect. I already bought a 5 gallon igloo cooler, 50' of stainless coil, compression fittings, heat element, PID, RTD, etc. I could have just bought the unit in the link you provided and put my coil into that and set the desired temp. with the on-board thermostat. Oh well maybe someone else will benifit from your post before it's too late. Cheers!

Pretty cool,I could see using that for step mashing 5 gal. batches with a 10 lb
grain bill.Would just have to figure out how to lauter with that spigot.Also you
could keep the grain bed at 168 easily when sparging.

Cheers

After thinking about it more,it would make an even better HLT for sparge water.
I rarely use more than 5 gal. to sparge.I like it,to bad I`m poor.Saved for future
reference.Thanks for the link.

Yeah the price tag would do it for me...if it was under $100, definitely would be sweet. Even just for getting some extra water up to temp.

But for $300 (plus tax!) one could build almost a full, much larger setup.

Mine cost about $500 with lots of wasted shipping charges.

To be fair the $1,000 price tag includes everything. The silicone hoses, SS ball lock valves, Sight glasses, Volt and Amp Meters, the Keg, temp probes, Auber PID controller timer & switches, Everything…

$1000 seems like a lot for a single vessel system. I built a 3 keggle herms for under $1000 including everything( keggles, Electric control box, pid, stainless stand, pumps, etc)

JRems said:
$1000 seems like a lot for a single vessel system. I built a 3 keggle herms for under $1000 including everything( keggles, Electric control box, pid, stainless stand, pumps, etc)

This

It's pretty simple, it has to do with the components used in the build. I could have built my e-biab system for less but the parts I decided to use pushed it over $1000.00.

I'm interested in your build to see how you kept it under $1000.00

How to keep it under $1000, do your own welding, craigslist is your friend, and buy used or Chinese parts off eBay or from the classifieds here. and dumpster diving. I got my 35 ft 10ga power cable as well as 30 amp electric plugs out of a job site dumpster.

Skip this. Get a 1650w electric turkey fryer -- can be found under $100, larger capacity, more wattage, and there are models with a spigot for draining oil.

It also depends a lot on what tools you have to start with. Sure they might not be directly part of your part list, but they add up.

Latest posts

Back