Expired Yeast, No Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse88

Reaction score
I wasn’t really planning on Brewing this weekend, but time actually freed up for once. I bought a bunch of Yeast before life got in the way and have two packs multiple Wyeast and White Labs Yeast. All are 4-8 months past use by date.

Could I get away with just pitching both packs and skipping the starter?

Thanks for any help!

I would not risk it..you can try and build the yeast up by making a small 500l 1.020 starter and working from there to a 1.030 starter etc , i would just get new fresh yeast though

If you're going to be under 1.060 OG, I say go for it. It's not ideal, but it should definitely make beer. Expect a long lag time before visible fermentation.

Can't you just get some fresh yeast at your LHBS? Seems like a waste if you can't; pitching sufficient quantities of fresh, viable yeast is a foundation block of making decent beer. It's arguably as important as having good sanitation practices.

Batch size? Original Gravity? Style?
And are these "two packs multiple Wyeast and White Labs Yeast" style compatible?

Cheers!

I've used old yeast a bunch of times with no starter. There's a long lag time since the little guys have been sleeping for so long. 5 days or so but I've never had a dead pitch. You can always make a starter just to make sure the yeast is still alive but if you've stored it right it should be fine.

Batch size? Original Gravity? Style?
And are these "two packs multiple Wyeast and White Labs Yeast" style compatible?

Cheers!

5 gallon Batch. OG 1.045 to 1.050.

Was thinking just a kitchen sink batch ha.

I have duplicates of each yeast pack. Cal Ale and Wyeast Helles

If it's an experiment go ahead.
I would still make a starter, but a quick vitality starter. Make the starter in the morning, pitch when it is at high krausen.

Back