Expert TIPA Opinions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnenieGone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I have some extra hops and thought about a first Triple IPA. Appreciate thoughts on this recipe especially related to hop flavors/schedule. What do you think the primary flavor will be? Fruity, piny, earthy?

2Row - 15lbs
Corn Sugar - 1lbs
Honey Malt - 8oz
Crystal 10L - 8oz
Crystal 120 - .8oz
Mash at 150F for 60min.

Amarillo - .5oz FWH
Simcoe - .5oz FWH
Warrior - 1.5oz 60min
Warrior - 1.5oz 45min
Amarillo - 1oz 10min
Simcoe - 1.5oz 10min
Columbas - .7oz 170F 30min Steep
Amarillo - .5oz 170F 30min Steep
Simcoe - 2oz 170F 30min Steep

Simcoe - 1.6oz 14day
Amarillo - 1.0oz 14day
Columbas - .8oz 14day

Columbas - .25oz 5day
Simcoe - .4oz 5day

Yeast: 2 packets of Safale-05.

Buckets stay in a room that is about 68F. Working on chest freezer conversion for fermentation, but not ready yet. Also looking into kegging systems. The bottling thing seems to be inconsistent results to me.

IBU (calc) = 188
Color = 7.5
ABV = 10.1% (OG = 1.091)
Final bottling Volume = 4.75gal (eff = 69%)

Thanks for any advice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottled: Falconer's Flight IPA 4.0
Bottled: Plinian Legacy
Bottled: Sweet Honey Brew 2.0
Bottled: Cream Ale 1.0
Bottled: Hard Limeaid
Bottled: Hard Raspberry Lemonaid

Primary: Falconer's Flight IPA 5.0
Primary: Cit Blond Cit 1.0
Primary: Bums WTF! 1.0

Secndy: Maple BarleyWine 1.0
Secndy: Pliny the Elder Pure 1.0

So... I assume you are looking at a 5 gallon recipe?
What is your efficiency?

Assuming this will give you your desired OG, I don't think it's a bad idea. The problem I have with "triple IPAs" is that they end up being very much like American barleywines. I feel like the rice might dry it out, or down play the malt, which might help out with what you are looking for.

Also, consider the use of sugar- as much as I hate to say that. It will help you get your OG up there without actually increasing the body. It will actually give you a higher apparent attenuation and a dryer beer.

Don't use more than 7% though.

Also, make sure most of the bitterness comes from high alpha acid hops, just so you don't go wasting beer. The hops tend to really suck up beer, and I can't help but to hate that.

So... I assume you are looking at a 5 gallon recipe?
What is your efficiency?

Assuming this will give you your desired OG, I don't think it's a bad idea. The problem I have with "triple IPAs" is that they end up being very much like American barleywines. I feel like the rice might dry it out, or down play the malt, which might help out with what you are looking for.

Also, consider the use of sugar- as much as I hate to say that. It will help you get your OG up there without actually increasing the body. It will actually give you a higher apparent attenuation and a dryer beer.

Don't use more than 7% though.

Also, make sure most of the bitterness comes from high alpha acid hops, just so you don't go wasting beer. The hops tend to really suck up beer, and I can't help but to hate that.

Yes, I'm not really sure the difference between a Barleywine and TIPA. I have a barleywine cooking now. Mashed a bit higher (154-155F) so it comes out more a mouthful also. Sampled between primary and secondary. Tasted like a nice hardy DIPA to me, maybe sweeter due to the maple. I've never used rice before, so don't know the characteristics.

Back