Experimenting With Peated Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spectreoneone

Reaction score
So, I'm working on a recipe to try out when I return home that will utilize peated malt (since I am an avid single malt whisky drinker). The recipe I'm toying with is as follows:
6lbs Pale LME
2lbs Dark DME
8oz Crystal 120
8oz Chocolate Malt
1oz Peated Malt
1oz Fuggles @ 60min
1oz Willamette @ 5min
1pkg Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast

My big question is that should I up the peated malt slightly (I know that it's potent stuff, and I can easily overdo it). I'm looking for something very malty (thus the added dark DME) that can live up to the added bittering properties of the smokiness of the peated malt (also why the IBUs are deceptively low).
Also, would this work better as a partial mash, or will steeping suffice? This is only my second shot at creating my own recipe, so any assistance that anybody can provide would be welcome, and I would be very grateful for it. Thanks in advance!

If you already like single malts, you could probably get away with adding more peated malt, maybe even all the way up to 8 oz like your C120 and Chocolate Malt.

I'm a little wary of a full 8oz for my first batch...I'm thinking I might bump it up to 3oz and run with it from there. Now if I only didn't have to wait for a couple months to do it!

Latest posts

Back