Experimenting with hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
I have a bag of hops that someone recently gave me. Whole leaf and I have no idea what kind they are. Would like to experiment with them this weekend and and use them to add some additional hop flavor to a centennial blonde recipe. Looking for suggestions on how to approach this. How much should I add and when? Not sure if I should add them to the boil or dry hop with them. They have been dried so not recently picked.

How much do you have? Do you know if they've been dried, or did they just come out of somebody's backyard? A safe bet would be to not use them for a bittering addition, but a late boil or flameout addition. Even a dry-hop could be good depending on what you've got.

They did come from someone's backyard. I have 3 oz of them. They were dried on a screen and don't have a strong hop aroma at this point but do have a nice hop flavor when tasting them.

Add them at the very end of the boil or flame out for aroma. If you don't know the variety or the age they may or may not contribute much, but they certainly won't hurt.

If you do 5 gal batches 3 oz is a good amount for a dry hop but seeing as they don't smell very pungent maybe using them at flame out in heat would help extract more of the lupulin and at least give you some flavor.

Back