Experimenting with different Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8er79

Reaction score
I am still new to home brewing about 15 batches under my belt (3 all grain). I have brewed a wide variety of styles but am considering an experiment with small batch IPA's. I have about 4 oz each of: Simco, Summit, Columbus, Magnum & Cascade on hand. I am considering doing an all grain mash and boiling 5 different 1 gallon batches only using one type of hop in each. I was thinking that this would give me a good idea of what each taste like instead of mixing them up. I would dry hop as well. Is this a good idea? Would this allow me to get a taste for an individual variety?

Yes it will. But imo hops compliment each other better, so i would mix it all up or at least do two batches.

Using one hop will give you a very good idea of what each hop brings to the table. Madchemist was right and sometimes combos can be better. I am drinking an IPA right now that I used three hops in. The first batch was Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo. This batch is Centennial, Cascade and Citra. Two totally different tastes. Both good and both different.

Back