experimenting outside the kits.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskozen

Reaction score
what is up all, just finished my first home brew batch, a pale ale, and it came out pretty freaking good, my question is, when I start to get better and better at this, at what point do u stray from the kits and just start experimenting with different steeping grains and different extracts. Basically piecing out different ingredients to see what kind of Mad Scientist potion i can come up with and enjoy, any feedback greatly appreciated

Ed....Beer Man since 2004

Hey man I've been brewing for one year. I started with extract and that quickly became boring. I did like 2 or 3. So I bought two igloo coolers and made a mash tun and HLT (hot liquor tank aka hot water). I highly recommend downloading beer smith 2 on your phone and or laptop. It's an awesome program that will help you make your own recipe. Since then I've been brewing my own beers like a mad man. I went from bottles to kegs, from leaving it in a cooler to a RIMS tube and electronic controls. A lot has happened in that year. All the while making great beer. Make the move to all grain, a little more expensive buying the extra gear however you'll save money as they are cheaper than extract kits. It's a lot of fun when you make it and realize no one else told you what to do or has the same recipe. Good feeling. That and every beer you make is stored so if it's great you can repeat it. You can also take notes in the app for contingencies

My first batch was an extract kit. My second batch was all grain, and things spiraled from there.

I like to take an established recipie and tweak one aspect of it, or play with it in brewer's friend. My last one was a saison based loosely on Boulevard Tank 7. I ran with French strisselspalt hops and then split 10g between Omega's Saisonstein (a french/belgian hybrid yeast) and half with 3031 brett blend. It hits all the numbers for being true to saison style, but the strisselsplat hops play so well with both yeasts . . . I am very happy with it.

The style guidlines, to me, are a great primer on what works. There is a reason they exist. And find what you like and tweak. I did a classic kolsch blond, fermented on the bottom of the temperature range, then dryhopped with galaxy.

Read up and see what others are doing, and more importantly, why they are doing it, and then make changes for what you like.

You can jump straight to all-grain, especially if you have a little bit of money and any friends with experience or a homebrew club to help. Don't be afraid - RDWHAHB!

A lot of recipes from which kits are built can be readily modified. If you look at Northern Brewer's kits, for instance, and click the "additional information" tab, you'll see a link for the brewing instructions, which include the specific malt extract, hops, and so on. For instance:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/AmericanAmber.pdf

Now you know what's in it, you can change any of it you like, and buy the individual elements of it. My son does extract brews, and when he tasted some of my beer in which I use Maris Otter malt (I do all grain), he wanted to try it, so he took a kit recipe and swapped out the normal malt extract for Maris Otter extract. I can't recall where he gets it, doesn't matter. The point is that he now has tried something different based on an experimental idea he had.

Turns out, he really likes that extract, so it's the basis of most of the brewing he does.

You can do the same thing at MoreBeer, they have the ingredient lists under the "documents" tab and they're PDF files. Here's one that shows the extract, the steeping grains, hops, yeast, the whole bit:

https://www.morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=6987

I think part of this exercise is brewing enough initial recipes that you can discern differences in flavors and then you can start futzing with them. I'd suggest changing one thing at a time so you can really see the differences and then evaluate whether you like them or not.

There are lots of extract recipes out there, many on HBT, sometimes people will specify both all-grain and extract in their recipes. It's kind of fun the first time you assemble the ingredients for a recipe yourself, brew it, and then find out you can do it.

There seems to be two types of brewing folks:
1. Those who like to stick with a tried-and-true recipe, perfecting it until they have it perfectly where they want it.
2. Those willing to take a leap of faith and experiment. You may come up with a clunker, but you also may stumble upon nirvana.
Which way do you want to go?
Either way, do your research- read, spend way too much time on HBT and other forums, talk to other brewers. Good luck man. This is the world's best hobby!

The "Mad Scientist" bit worries me a little, but if you just want to play around within the ranges of established styles, then you can probably start now. You can take your kit recipe and change hops, yeast and/or grains. But if you want to do something crazy or start adding a bunch of foods to your beer, you're on your own.

1. Those who like to stick with a tried-and-true recipe, perfecting it until they have it perfectly where they want it.
2. Those willing to take a leap of faith and experiment. You may come up with a clunker, but you also may stumble upon nirvana.
Either way, do your research- read, spend way too much time on HBT and other forums, talk to other brewers. Good luck man. This is the world's best hobby!

Exactly. This is what I did and I've had both reactions

Exactly. This is what I did and I've had both reactions. Now I make all my own and I'm never looking back.

The "Mad Scientist" bit worries me a little, but if you just want to play around within the ranges of established styles, then you can probably start now. You can take your kit recipe and change hops, yeast and/or grains. But if you want to do something crazy or start adding a bunch of foods to your beer, you're on your own.

Ditch it all. You can make your own. Mad scientist is why we have such good beer today. Try things out, I tried wheat in my IPA got bad reviews so started to try with other grains. It's trial and error. No beer is a waste.

I agree with everyone here. Start with what you like and go from there. The sky is the limit! But don't expect every experiment to be good. And do not try a 100% specialty grain mash... it will not be 100% specially good ... trust me lol. And use habaneros sparingly...

Beer smith is great, although it was like greek to me 5 years ago when I started.
This hop variety list helped me as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties

And This
https://brewdudes.wordpress.com/beer-making-terminology/

Good Luck:mug:

Last edited:
Yeah I had to watch videos on how to use beer smith. Habaneros?!! How spicy was the beer? I want to try pineapple and grapefruit. I like the sculpin

I'm going to stray a bit from the consensus here and suggest that you get your process nailed down before you start ex"beer"imenting. You've got a good first brew under your belt, do another one and see if it finishes as well. If you don't want to use the kits, there are bazillion recipes on the google (or search engine of your choice) for extract, partial mash, and all grain. For the most part, it's cheaper to buy your ingredients from your LHBS rather than buying the kits, extract included. I jumped into all grain too fast and had several woeful brews before I had my process dialed in. If you can find another homebrewer in your area, ask if you can attend a brew day and see how they work.

I see waaay too many homebrew starter kits on Cl and OfferUP, I have to think that most of the sellers jumped too quick and got discouraged. Homebrewing is a constant learning process. Good Luck and happy brewing!!

I brewed 1 extract batch 100% to the recipe in the kit.
2nd batch I mixed and matched extract ingredients with no recipe.
3rd batch, I tried all grain and never looked back.

I went to BIAB and haven't looked at extract since. However I still do kits and clone recipes a lot. It helps me nail down the process. I'll go buy the actual beer and compare. I get bored and go mad scientist on occasion, but I also have a good process and my equipment nailed down.

You need to get control of ferm temps before you go too crazy.

Yeah fermentation temps are the most important. I only have mine half way down. I can heat in the winter but I can't cool in the summer. I have a fridge for a kegerator which I may use but I can only do one leg at a time that way.

Back