Experimental hops. What to do with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainkirk83

Reaction score
I have 1 oz of 4.4 AAU hops labeled experimental that I have no idea what to do with. These were picked up by a friend who was at the time selling to craft brewers at a convention.

Any ideas? Recommendations?

1 oz is not really enough to make anything with.

A 4% pale with magnum for bittering and that 1 oz for whirlpool. Maybe like a 1 gallon batch, as 1 oz is not enough for 5 gallons.

... or possibly a simple single malt, single hop ale to highlight your unidentified hops. Blonde ale, SMASH, saison , neutral yeast. Pretty easy choice, not much for bittering so small batch, low IBU could be the way to go.

A small pale ale with Magnum for a clean bittering and the experimental hops at the end for flavor and aroma.

I should have clarified that I'm not trying to use these alone. Just trying to figure out how to work them into use.

Take a mild commercial beer open the bottle and put one pellet in and seal the bottle back up then in three days drink the bottle it should give you a Idea of what flavor the hops bring.:D

Back