Experimental Hop 6277

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I bought a four ounce pack of 6277 from Farmhouse Brewing earlier this year. I brewed up a small batch of 6% IPA to try it out. Bittered with Warrior to 50 IBUs, used 6277 as the only flavor and aroma hop. I split the 4 ounces between a whirlpool addition and dryhop. There's virtually no information out there aside from the commercial description so I thought I'd post my notes.

Here the tag line at Farmhouse:

Juicy fruit, tropical notes.

15.4% alpha
22-24 CoH
Oil 4% (yikes!)

Notes:

Some general citrus and lime with mellow herb/pine in aroma. Firm bitterness but clean on palate, doesn't linger on tongue. Some pear and light tropical elements. It produces a generally smooth citrusy flavor, but the lime/pear gives it some distinction. My wife says she catches a slight minty flavor in the background, I can definitely see that as well. Mint is probably a better descriptor than herbal/pine.

It stands pretty well on its own. That said, I would probably use it to add depth and dimension to another, more straight forward hop.

After a pint or two, I could also see it working in a Belgian. There's an element that reminds me of the Duvel ester profile.

Thanks for the write up Tagz. I just got my hands on some 6277 (Denali) hops. I plan to brew both an APA and barleywine with a chinook/Denali combo. I am excited to try this new hop out as I have been loving the aromas people are posting about it.

Back