Experimental Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw an article in the November Brew Your Own about sugars. I breifly scanned it and the author recommended using no more than 8 oz of molasses in a brew, specifically a robust porter or stout. I don't buy it, but that's what experimentation is for.

That is strange since the imperial stout kit I just finished included 1lb of corn sugar for the boil. 8oz is barely more than used for priming??

That is strange since the imperial stout kit I just finished included 1lb of corn sugar for the boil. 8oz is barely more than used for priming??

Priming is only about 2.5oz per 5gal. But yes, Logan's post didn't make sense until he changed it.

I can see why he would say that...but we've done all sorts of things against conventional wisdom. He is mostly trying to keep people who don't know what they are doing from making dumb mistakes. 1 size fits all advice.

Priming is only about 2.5oz per 5gal. But yes, Logan's post didn't make sense until he changed it.

It's odd then that both specialty grains &extract kits I did this year had 5 oz priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Could this be just because they were both high gravity beers(Bavarian Dopplebock & Imperial Stout)?

It's odd then that both specialty grains &extract kits I did this year had 5 oz priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Could this be just because they were both high gravity beers(Bavarian Dopplebock & Imperial Stout)?

Ha! I haven't naturally carbed anything in a long time. The difference between our measurements is the difference between carbing at room temp vs 38F.

5oz is still high though, about 2.7 volumes, higher than the standard 2.4. I would carb that Imp Stout at more like 1.6. But hey, its a kit, can't expect everything I suppose.

Ha! I haven't naturally carbed anything in a long time. The difference between our measurements is the difference between carbing at room temp vs 38F.

5oz is still high though, about 2.7 volumes, higher than the standard 2.4. I would carb that Imp Stout at more like 1.6. But hey, its a kit, can't expect everything I suppose.

Good to know. I bottled them in 1 liter EZcap bottles and the caps almost remove themselves when you flip the bale :) Very loud pop and a cloud of gas rolls out of the neck. Oddly enough(to my inexperienced eye) the head is made of ultra fine bubbles, almost like a nitrogen draft. That wasn't the case with the dopplebock(which took 4months to lager properly)

Good to know. I bottled them in 1 liter EZcap bottles and the caps almost remove themselves when you flip the bale :) Very loud pop and a cloud of gas rolls out of the neck. Oddly enough(to my inexperienced eye) the head is made of ultra fine bubbles, almost like a nitrogen draft. That wasn't the case with the dopplebock(which took 4months to lager properly)

Highly carbed beers with lots of dark malts can look similar to Nitro pours, but less creamy.

Since they are in fact the opposite, the taste doesn't really match at all though.

I will be putting my first beer (its a GF beer) through the Nitro tap in a couple weeks, which should be interesting indeed.

I got thinking about corn, from some things that came up in another thread. I read somewhere that true quality moonshine is made from 100% corn wort. It's also a large portion of grain bill for bourbon. Has anyone ever made a completely corn based beer? I haven't been able to find an estimate of the PPG of corn on any HBS website(yet anyways). So I was thinking of doing a SMaSH based on corn. I'd do a mini-mash on the stovetop with alpha amylase. Anyone have an idea how much corn would required, assuming an average efficiency?

I got thinking about corn, from some things that came up in another thread. I read somewhere that true quality moonshine is made from 100% corn wort. It's also a large portion of grain bill for bourbon. Has anyone ever made a completely corn based beer? I haven't been able to find an estimate of the PPG of corn on any HBS website(yet anyways). So I was thinking of doing a SMaSH based on corn. I'd do a mini-mash on the stovetop with alpha amylase. Anyone have an idea how much corn would required, assuming an average efficiency?

No idea, but whatever you are thinking, just double it. Better to overshoot than undershoot.

Everybody uses flaked corn in beer, not sure many use ears of corn.

I'm coming to a point in time where I will finally have some time on my hands. Studying for this CPA exam has really taken a toll on my brewing and my own personal free time.

So....to make up for lost time, here is what I have coming down the line:

All experimental
-100% BRS Pumpkin Extract- 1 gallon
-100% BRS Pumpkin Extract + Pumpkin Spices- 1 gallon
-Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (updated)-1 gallon
-Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout with Chocolate Extract instead of powder- 1 gallon
-American Brown Ale (tweaked, 1 lb molasses)- 5.5 gallons
-American Brown Ale (original)- 5.5 gallons

The original ABA I am going to split in the following ways:
-1 gallon into secondary on vanilla
-1 gallon into secondary on oak
-1 gallon into seconday on coffee
-2 gallons as control versus the above experimental and 1 lb molasses brew

This is a ton of beer and since I don't keg, I really need to check to see if I have the bottles to cover this. For anyone else who thinks this is nuts, SWMBO is already on board for these brews :rockin:

For now, the plan is to brew the ones that don't require grain roasting first (both pumpkin ales) and then brew the last 4 once I get the grains roasted. I'll post my final recipes for these this coming weekend (my test is Friday) for feedback. The first brew should take place 10/30.

I'm coming to a point in time where I will finally have some time on my hands. Studying for this CPA exam has really taken a toll on my brewing and my own personal free time.

So....to make up for lost time, here is what I have coming down the line:

All experimental
-100% BRS Pumpkin Extract- 1 gallon
-100% BRS Pumpkin Extract + Pumpkin Spices- 1 gallon
-Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (updated)-1 gallon
-Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout with Chocolate Extract instead of powder- 1 gallon
-American Brown Ale (tweaked, 1 lb molasses)- 5.5 gallons
-American Brown Ale (original)- 5.5 gallons

The original ABA I am going to split in the following ways:
-1 gallon into secondary on vanilla
-1 gallon into secondary on oak
-1 gallon into seconday on coffee
-2 gallons as control versus the above experimental and 1 lb molasses brew

This is a ton of beer and since I don't keg, I really need to check to see if I have the bottles to cover this. For anyone else who thinks this is nuts, SWMBO is already on board for these brews :rockin:

For now, the plan is to brew the ones that don't require grain roasting first (both pumpkin ales) and then brew the last 4 once I get the grains roasted. I'll post my final recipes for these this coming weekend (my test is Friday) for feedback. The first brew should take place 10/30.

Sounds like a great plan to me :). My initial SMaSH tests should be ready for bottling in another week(BRS/Agave Nectar/GradeB Maple syrup), so I'll be ready to start round two(Barbados Molasses/Blackstrap Molasses/Tapioca if I can find it) Then I would like to start a round of experiments either with roasted unmalted grains for steeping(ie try different amounts and toast levels of millet in otherwise identical batches) or I'm also leaning toward some all grain SMaSH attempts using corn/millet/amaranth/quinoa/buckwheat in hopes that a stovetop mini mash will yield enough wort for a one gallon test batch.

So much to brew so little time....................

The two pumpkin ales are starting to clear already and are now taking on a little bit of an orange color and I'm planning to brew the two chocolate stouts this weekend. I'm going to put one of the blonde ales in the fridge tomorrow to try this weekend and I'll let you guys know how it was.

Finally tasted the 100% BRS Blonde and well, it was different. The hops came through a little citrusy but the BRS...it's different. I had my girlfriend try it and she liked it, it IS drinkable and light but I think it is one dimensional.

Gluten_Free_012.jpg

I tried one of the pumpkin ales that I used the extract on and WOW! The pumpkin came through and it tasted great! These were 100% BRS as well. I put the extract into primary and let it ferment with it in there. Just bottled them today so I'll give them a try in 3 weeks or so.

Nice work, I'm hoping to bottle my 100% BRS this week so hopefully it'll be ready for tasting in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like your opinion is close to mine. It doesn't really taste like much, but the flavor it does leave is a bit weird. Sort of like biscuity.

Way better than Sorghum IMO. Certainly not perfect.

Our beers look very similar, btw.

Blonde-Takeover-0041.jpg

Not perfect is right. I used BRS as my base for the double chocolate beers I am messing around with. To these I've added Dark Candi sugar and blackstrap molasses. That should give it some other flavors and might help it, but we will see.

Not perfect is right. I used BRS as my base for the double chocolate beers I am messing around with. To these I've added Dark Candi sugar and blackstrap molasses. That should give it some other flavors and might help it, but we will see.

Merriment is BRS, Dark Candi, Honey, and a bunch of spices including coffee. It's carbing up, let you know how it comes out in a week or so. Initial taste was pretty coffee strong, but I was drinking the trub.

Bottled the BRS SMaSH last night. The test batch added up to a smidgen over a six pack. I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple of weeks once it's had a chance to carb up. Going in it actually wasn't too bad(considering what it is). Tasted a bit like a flat Michelob maybe with a bit of that biscquick flavor others have described. Surprisingly beer like. Although to be honest I'm not a fan of Mich(or anything in that range), I'm just impressed with the BRS's ability to fall within a beer like taste range..

Bottled the BRS SMaSH last night. The test batch added up to a smidgen over a six pack. I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple of weeks once it's had a chance to carb up. Going in it actually wasn't too bad(considering what it is). Tasted a bit like a flat Michelob maybe with a bit of that biscquick flavor others have described. Surprisingly beer like. Although to be honest I'm not a fan of Mich(or anything in that range), I'm just impressed with the BRS's ability to fall within a beer like taste range..

Its probably very similar to what they actually use for a good portion of the adjuncts in Michelob. Probably just white rice instead.

Bottled the dark agave nectar SMaSH this evening. Not particularly liking it going into the bottle. Kind of a cross between a lawnmower beer and a mead. Quite a bit of residual sweetness. Based on how meadlike it came out I would say that it would work as an alternative to honey in a recipe. I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple of weeks after it's had a chance to carb.

I've been using Saaz pellets(that's what I had a bunch of) 3.9% I was following your lead and using .1oz@60 @30 and @5min. I probably should have up the amount to account for the lower AA because I don't think I'll be able to taste the hops except on the BRS batch. I was only getting 6.5 12oz bottles out of mine because I wasn't starting with enough water to account for boil off. The blackstrap I did better but it does mean I have to watch the boil like a hawk because the pot is so close to be full. Life is full of compromises right :)

You're doing <1 gallon batches, right? The brew pot I am using holds just under 3 gallons, you can get them cheap. In fact, I think I have a total of 5 of these brew kettles and I only use them for small batches like this.

I just happen to have a package from Austin Homebrew that contains a mozzarella cheese making kit and includes 2 large sock pots. Slightly smaller than the brew pot I use for the 1 gallon batches. Unopened, if I might add.

Maybe I can find a way to get that box into your hands.

Thanks, that a generous offer, but I'm sure shipping something that large wouldn't be terribly cost effective. I'll see what I can get locally. If the Pilsner recipe works I'll have to get your and Dkershner's shipping info and send a sample along for critiquing.

The Barbados molasses SMaSH is bubbling away nicely today. Hopefully the blackstrap batch will start showing some signs of life later today or tomorrow.

I just happen to have a package from Austin Homebrew that contains a mozzarella cheese making kit and includes 2 large sock pots. Slightly smaller than the brew pot I use for the 1 gallon batches. Unopened, if I might add.

Maybe I can find a way to get that box into your hands.

Let me know how the mozzarella cheese making goes.

I've been using an aluminum tamale pot and haven't had any problem. I'm sure you can find one of those cheap.

I'm sure I can find something.

Bottle the grade B maple syrup SMaSH tonight. Didn't taste bad at all going into the bottle. Not great and not comparable to anything I can think of, but seemed like it would be drinkable if it was carbed and chilled. We'll see how the bottle conditioning goes.

Well, how'd it go? If you're giving the kit away, does that mean you weren't happy with the results?

I didn't really follow the directions but my cheese was too dense in the end. The kit I have is an extra and I don't need it. All the ingredients you need and two pots- all unopened.

I already have the pots, but I have been waiting until I need something from AHS to save on shipping for the cheese kits. I have been wanting to try it for awhile, I think I am just waiting for the perfect milk source.

In any case, I recommend Home Depot, they have some cheap big pots right now for Thanksgiving.

Back