Experiences using fenugreek for maple flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacax

Reaction score
I am looking for anyone with experience using ground fenugreek to weigh in on its usefulness as a booster or replacement for maple syrup. Fenugreek is used as a base in imitation maple syrup.

I know this is mentioned briefly in Radical Brewing and also Extreme Brewing, but having searched a few forums I have found little examples of people actually using this method successfully. The idea pops up but few people seemed to have done it. The few people who try it seemed to look past the fact that this is a spice to be used sparingly.

Does anyone have any experience on this that has yet to be shared?

Cheers

You could always try the soak in vodka trick and add a little to a premade beer to test the results. I can't think of any reason why you'd *need* to boil it, but I've frankly never worked with fenugreek in beer either.

I am probably going to soak the fenugreek in some whiskey as that is another element I want in the beer I am planning. The one measurement I was able to find was "1-2 tsp." in a maple beer recipe in Radical Brewing, but this was used to boost the maple flavor found in jaggery.

Just make sure to crush the seeds before adding to the whisky(e)y. Finely ground powder is bad, as that will be difficult to separate out, but whole seeds can take forever to impart their flavor. A moderate crush tends to work best with most seeds.

Whole Fenugreek seeds are hard to crush. Buy crushed ones or toast whole ones before you try to crush them. The local indian market is a good place to get them.

Back