Exp 4190

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Soft Underbelly

Reaction score
Sometime back in October, on a whim, I ordered several experimental hop varieties from Farmhouse Brewing and until recently haven't done a thing with em. Yesterday I found myself with time and a number of left over ingredients from previous batches.

Exp 4190: Experimental variety from Hop Steiner. Pleasant, mild citrus aroma. Bred from Fuggles and Cascade

3.75# Maris Otter
4 oz special b
3 # light DME @ 15 min
12 oz corn sugar @ 5 min

1.5 oz Exp 4190 (3.6%) @ 60
1 oz Exp 4190 (3.6%) @15min
1 oz Exp 4190 (3.6%) @ FO

1 pkg S-05 rehydrated

I didn't take gravity reading on this one, but it should be about 1.055 if I've configured my beer smith correctly. My PM batches are usually within 2 points of those numbers..

This had a very herbal smell, a bit of citrus too. Def smells like a cascade fuggle cross. I added the corn sugar to boost my OG and dry it out just a bit too. I suppose I could have just brewed a 4 gal batch...Ideally I would have used more MO and no sugar but I really didn't wanna get in my car!

It's chugging away right now. I'm stoked to try this one....

How did it turn out? I've been looking into this hop recently and am very intrigued.

Did you take a sample when transferring if you've done so yet?

Cheers.

I finally got around to bottling this on Sunday. It totally smelled of fuggles. The sample i tasted was closer to a mild in terms of bitterness with just perception of... i dunno what I'd call it... grassiness, earthiness... not in a bad way though.

Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks when its conditioned. I'll update the thread then.

Sub'd, thinking about using this in a sessionable SMaSH, with MO.

Back