Exotic Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
There are some really exciting fruits out there.This is more geared towards melomel and wine, but I've been reading about exotic fruits with extreme excitement, the only problem is where to find them >_<i found this site http://www.buyexoticfruits.com

Heres my list of fruit I'd like to try if someone wants to start throwing links/experimenting with the ideas

Chilean or “white” strawberry
The Chilean strawberry is a native and paler version of the traditional strawberry, but no less sweet. In fact, some call it “pineapple strawberry” because its taste is similar to that of the tropical fruit.

The first to try this type of berry were the Mapuche and Picunche peoples of the central and southern zone of the country. The first European to taste it was the Jesuit chronicler Alonso de Ovalle, who found this fruit in the countryside in the south of the country. For this reason he baptized it Fragaria chiloensis, or strawberry from the Chilean island of Chiloé.

It is a very juicy and aromatic strawberry that is currently cultivated from the west of North America to the southernmost parts of Chile and Argentina. There are red, yellow and white varieties.

A berry with a difference goes on sale this weekend to tempt the tastebuds of sweet-toothed shoppers.

StrasBerry

The berry resembles a cross between a strawberry and a raspberry and is reputed to have a sweet and unique flavour.

Originating as a wild strawberry species, the berry was "rediscovered" by a Dutch grower seven years ago.

Starfruit
The fruit is entirely edible, including the slightly waxy skin. The flesh is crunchy, firm, and extremely juicy. The texture is similar in consistency to grapes.

Carambolas are best consumed when ripe, when they are yellow with a light shade of green. They will also have brown ridges at the five edges and feel firm. Overripe starfruit will be yellow with brown spots and can become soggier in consistency.

Ripe carambolas are sweet without being overwhelming, and has a tart, sour undertone. The taste is difficult to compare, but it has been likened to a mix of apple, pear and citrus family fruits all at once.[7] Unripe starfruits are firmer, sour, and taste like green apples.[8]

Dragon Fruit

Native to Mexico and Central and South America
Dragon fruit, strawberry pear or pitaya is a fruit of several cactus species with a sweet delicate taste and creamy pulp. The most common dragon fruit is the red pitaya, but other varieties include the Costa Rica pataya and the yellow pataya. Juice or wine can be obtained from the fruit, while the flowers can be eaten or used for tea.

African cucumber

Native to Kalahari Desert, Africa
The African cucumber, horned melon or melano is a fruit that can be best described as melon with horns. It originated in the Kalahari Desert and is now present in California and New Zealand. The dark green pulp reminds one of bananas, limes, passion fruit and cucumber. It is often used for decorating food but also in smoothies and sundaes

the white strawberry or Pineberry REALLY caught my eye. pineapple strawberry fruit sounds amazing, but I cant find a seller anywhere
The next mead I make will probably feature dragonfruit or the horned melon, I feel like both would compliment the tea in most recipes much better than a lot of fruit

I want to do a wit soon with hand of buddah, a pretty wild looking citrus type fruit. I saw them at fresh market about a month ago for like $12 bucks, not sure if they are still around or not.

Back