Exercise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just sharing some good news - at the end of the first month of my new exercise regimen, I've lost 8 pounds. I've not really changed my diet much, mainly smaller portions and more fruit. Haven't changed my beer consumption at all.

I'm in my late 40s and have gained significant weight since my mid 30s, when my metabolism seemed to shut off. I was quite active when younger, but not so much for the past ten years or so, since moving out to the burbs.

Sometimes I go to classes, other times I do bicycle/weights/treadmill. I've also been going to the gym with my wife, sometimes, which gives us a nice activity together. Feel better and hope to be down by 25 pounds by summer.

Just sharing some good news - at the end of the first month of my new exercise regimen, I've lost 8 pounds. I've not really changed my diet much, mainly smaller portions and more fruit. Haven't changed my beer consumption at all.

I'm in my late 40s and have gained significant weight since my mid 30s, when my metabolism seemed to shut off. I was quite active when younger, but not so much for the past ten years or so, since moving out to the burbs.

Sometimes I go to classes, other times I do bicycle/weights/treadmill. I've also been doing it with my wife, sometimes, which gives us a nice activity together. Feel better and hope to be down by 25 pounds by summer.

Wow- that's awesome! I"ve always been active, and found it's the only way to keep my weight down with all of the beer I consume. I'd probably lose 20 pounds right away if I went a month without beer! I weigh 135 currently, which seems about right for me.

Congrats! Every part of your life will start improving, except clothes buying. Weight loss is expensive.
Start planning what you want to do with those extra two-eight years. :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Home Brew Talk

Congrats, Pappers, on the weight loss! I, too, embarked on a weight loss/exercise routine fourteen months ago. I turned 65 in October, and I weigh the same as I did when I got married: 195 pounds. At the beginning of my journey, however, I weighed in at 255 pounds! Now, especially during the holiday season, I'm working to keep my weight stable. It's really just a matter of numbers: reduce the number of calories you put into your body [watch what you eat], and increase the number of calories your body uses [exercise].

Keep up the good work, Pappers!

glenn514:mug:

Great job.

I need to drop 20lbs after starting this new hobby.....me thinks we should have a biggest loser thread.

Great job Pap!!! I just got back from the gym...I know I'm going to eat and drink a lot in the next few days. I have to burn as many calories as i can before I add thousands.....

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

I started exercising again a few weeks ago. I started by walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day and recently started running 2 miles. I still can't believe that I ran 1.5miles without stopping the first time out. My wife also started the other day and we are planning to do a 5K together in the spring. I'm in my 40's and never had a weight problem. I notice it now especially since I started brewing.

I need to get back on the exercise bike. I picked one up for a friend with ALS to help with his diabetes and after a month he reported his number had dropped from 8-9 down to 6 at his last check up, so he plans on continuing to ride it once in a while.

Lucky for him he likes sports, so he hops on for a few minutes when the Lions, Tigers, Pistons, or Red Wings are on!

Even mil exercise is beneficial, even if you don't have weight loss.

Got back to the gym for the first time after the Christmas holiday last night - did five miles in twenty minutes on the bike, a round of exercise machines for about twenty minutes, then finished with 1.25 miles on the tread mill.

Tonight, my wife and I will do a class together called power flex - it's a combine weight and aerobics class, using dumbbells, hand weights and steps.

Great job! Feels great doesn't it? I recently lost 70lbs doing weight watchers and lifting weights. Gained about 5lbs over the holiday season so it's time to get back at it again. Sitting at 165 now, Want to get to 150ish. I'm only 5'7 so while it seems really light, it's about right for me.

I started exercising again a few weeks ago. I started by walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day and recently started running 2 miles. I still can't believe that I ran 1.5miles without stopping the first time out. My wife also started the other day and we are planning to do a 5K together in the spring. I'm in my 40's and never had a weight problem. I notice it now especially since I started brewing.

There is a great training program called "Couch to 5K" that you might want to look into if you are tackling your first race this spring...nice job on the progress!

CoalCracker said:
Great job! Feels great doesn't it? I recently lost 70lbs doing weight watchers and lifting weights. Gained about 5lbs over the holiday season so it's time to get back at it again. Sitting at 165 now, Want to get to 150ish. I'm only 5'7 so while it seems really light, it's about right for me.

I saw last night that I had gained one lb over the holiday, which seemed about right. I didn't really over eat, just had more dessert than normal, plus no exercise.

I don't count the Holidays... Too much good food.

Started eating right again yesterday, then went to Cadillac to install SWTOR on that friend's computer and we went out for burgers at Maggie's Tavern... Totally worth it though. I'm making up for it by not eating today.

Oops, just remembered I have a date to watch the Western Michigan game at BW3 after work. Eating right is HARD!

With all the various parties and gatherings over the past few days I ate (and drank) way too much and it became evident on the scale. All in all I gained 8 lbs between Thursday and Sunday night.

I'm a little sadistic, so I haven't eaten since dinner (dessert) on Sunday. I probably won't eat again until maybe lunch tomorrow? Either way, with any luck that should kill all 8 lbs I gained.

...and to not steal the topic, way to go Pappers! ...all I do is not eat, you do it right with all the exercise and such!

At this point, I've gained 3.5 pounds in the last week. I am currently at my daughter and son-in-law's house...with my new grandson...but with no exercise equipment. When I return home on Sunday, I will certainly be back to my exercise routine on Monday morning!

glenn514:mug:

For those who can stop eating too much or food that is bad for you and never go back I think that is great. For me I need the reward system. Eat healthy all week except on weekends where you reward yourself. You won't really gain much back, but you will feel "happier" not totally giving up the foods you love.

Funny how simple changes like pizza without pepperoni can even make a difference.

There is a great training program called "Couch to 5K" that you might want to look into if you are tackling your first race this spring...nice job on the progress!

Thank you. I kind of already do some of what the program says. I'm going to give it try.

Back