Bundle of Joy - Sour Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcowbrewing

Reaction score
First a little background:
I have been brewing for 13 years and started getting pretty serious about it a few years back in 2010. I have brewed almost every style over the years, but always come back to the ones I do very well. This year I have been very successful in competitions and even made my first lagers. I have made some attempts at sours in the past with some mixed results.

In 2006, I made a sour with currants. I fermented out a year then bottled. Alas, I moved to California for work and the movers would not take liquids of the sorts so I entrusted the two cases to my friend at the time so that we could enjoy when I came to visit. A not so bright friend stored them in his garage…..  a garage that topped 100 degrees in the summer and a low of 30’s in the winter. They went bad, so I was told. Oh well.

In 2011 I decided I must try that Jolly Rancher Sour. I had lost a non-supportive wife and gained a super supportive fiancé who loved sours. So off we went to make it. All went smoothly, fermented the base beer for 12 months. Checked on it…..no sourness? Hmmm, what did I do wrong, oh well, let’s add the 4.5 pounds of cherry jolly ranchers…… so we did. Another 12 months it stood, then at the end of 2013, it was time to move back to Oregon, this time I was doing the moving, all beers coming with me. So we bottled it up and , no sour???? It was definitely horse blanket, and funky. Super dry, FG 1.000…. had some wheatiness to it. I thought, let it sit a little longer. So over the last few years, it has started to sour, but not at the rate I want it to….still got 1.5 cases, waiting for the perfect pour.

In 2012, I was doing twelve new beers for my ten year brewing anniversary and the last one was a Berlinerweisse, two ways. One with cherries and the other with peaches. I had this one in my upstairs in the high desert of CA cooking it at 90 to 100 degrees and it still took 6+ weeks to develop some sourness. And once in the bottle, it was marvelous….success on a sour.

Earlier this year I started planning a beer project that will be a long process to the finish. My wife and I are trying to conceive so I thought of a commemorative beer for the birth of our child. Yes I know that sometimes people think this is corny, but my wife thinks it is cool. So since she loves a good sour, I was going to give it a shot. So in April I brewed up 10 gallons of a sour base. Good mix of pale malt, wheat, and few other adjuncts for some complexion. Came out at 1.050 and into the fermenter it went with only the dregs of 6 geese-a-laying from the bruery and Petite Desay and Bu Weisse from De Garde. Left it alone in the brewery for 6 months, it developed a nice pellicle on them, then at 6 months, I was ready to see if they were progressing. I transferred it into two 6.5 gallon carboys and topped them up with a failed to sour Berlinerweisse (still a good base beer) and tasted…… YES!! Sour, tasted good, score! This was in October and they are filled to the neck and have a good pellicle again, even after purging with CO2. They original plan was to make when she got pregnant. Add fruit at some point, bottle at birth, then enjoy each year up to when the kid turns 21. This has changed a bit as I knew I had to get a good base sour and would need more than 9 months.

So here comes my questions:

I was going to split these two carboys into three corny kegs and put them under the house for aging through the winter. Will this be too cold for the yeast and bacteria?

Should I add more bacteria from other dregs to increase complexity?

We have decide on 3 fruits (thus the three kegs work good). Hood River Cherries, Oregon Marion Berries, and Raspberries. The plan has changed to when she gets pregnant to inoculate the sour base with the fruit and let them sit for the 9 months. Should we change this to a lesser amount of time or is 9 months sound good?

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

I always recommend adding various dregs to sours. The microbe diversity will sour it quicker, eat up off flavors, and give a more complex (IMO) character

Ive done this for my sours and packaged each of them in less than 3 months. They were very sour by then. I think the last one I did had a pH of 3.3 4 weeks in

you dont want them getting too cold or it will severely inhibit the bugs from working. I wouldnt want mine to get below 50. Mid 60s to the upper 70s would be optimal IME

So I left these two carboys in the brewery this winter and it got pretty cold. Some nights in the 30's (we only heat the brewery when we are out there).
I plan on bringing these into the house (the nursery actually, LOL) and warm to ambient....about 68. I plan on adding some more dregs to this as I may have inhibited the previous dregs.

Quick update as we are hitting the 17 month mark on these.

I sometimes fear I jumped the gun on this as we are still not pregnant, so I am pushing forward with the project. The worts' are really getting good. At the 18 month mark I will be blending in a young soured wort to give me the required amount to age on fruit. Instead of kegs, I will be using the age old carboys, so I don't clog the keg lines. When I add the fruit I am going to add a bit more dregs and then shove them back into the closet.

Still wondering how long to let it sit on the fruit at this point.

Latest posts

Back