Excessive lag time and bucket woes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsloan

Reaction score
I have the archetypal newbie problem.

My second batch (ever) is a light ale, really simple recipe I followed from Joy of Homebrewing. When I picked up the ingredients from the LHBS, the brewer there talked me into a packet of Safale-56 yeast, in lieu of the White Labs vial (which I used on my first batch). I asked him about rehydrating the yeast, how he recommends it, etc., and he said that he sprinkles the dry yeast right into the wort after pouring it into the fermenter. So I figured, he's the brewer, let's give it a shot.

And I did. I pitched on Friday at 5:30 pm. It is currently Tuesday at 8:00 am, and my airlock shows no activity. The temperature in the room has been pretty steady between 68 and 70.

However, there are mitigating circumstances. I'm using one of those "Ale Pail" buckets with the grommeted holes in the top for the airlock. When I put put the airlock into the hole in the bucket (after sealing the lid), I managed to push the little black rubber grommet into the wort. Sucker sank like a rock, too! Rather than try to fish it out, I figured let it sit until I rack. So, I sealed the hole with Press-and-Seal Saran Wrap, and punched the airlock through it.

Now, my questions...
1. Did I get questionable advice from the brewer at the store, and is it likely that the yeast just didn't propogate?

2. Might the wort be fermenting, and the CO2 is just leaking underneath the Saran Wrap, and thus no bubbles?

3. Since I won't be able to get more yeast until Friday, is it inadvisable to repitch after a solid week of wort just sitting in a questionably sealed bucket?

4. Anyone else have this problem with the black grommet on the bucket lids, and are they easily fixed/replaced?

Thanks!

I hope someone answers this soon, I started my first ever batch on this past Sunday, poured the wort into the fermenter around 5:30 PM and pitched the dry yeast right into the wort like the recipe said too. Now it's Tuesday morning @ 8:30 AM with no bubbles in the airlock. I'm starting to get worried.

jpsloan said:
Now, my questions...
1. Did I get questionable advice from the brewer at the store, and is it likely that the yeast just didn't propogate?

2. Might the wort be fermenting, and the CO2 is just leaking underneath the Saran Wrap, and thus no bubbles?

3. Since I won't be able to get more yeast until Friday, is it inadvisable to repitch after a solid week of wort just sitting in a questionably sealed bucket?

4. Anyone else have this problem with the black grommet on the bucket lids, and are they easily fixed/replaced?

Thanks!

1. I would say yes, he should have told you to make a yeast starter but maybe he was trying to keep things simple for you since it was your 2nd batch.
2. That is a possibility. Open the lid, are there any bubbles/foam/krausen on top? It is possible that your ghetto-rigged seal isn't 100% sealed. Can you fit a blow-off tube into the opening to get a better seal?
3. It's worth a shot, yeast is only a couple bucks but your batch may not be the greatest if fermentation doesn't start until almost a week later. I've never had to wait that long so someone else can answer this question better than I can.
4. No, I have never had this problem. You should be able to put it back in place once you get it out of the bucket.

1. No & no. Safale S-56 can be sprinkled, re-hydrated or used in a starter. I've never had this yeast fail.
2. Yes, yes, yes
3. RAHAHB, by Friday it will be nearly done. Take a peek & check for krausen.
4. Lots of people have pushed their grommets into holes. The trick is to put the airlock in the lid first. Then put the lid on. Then put water in the airlock.

Open the lid and look for krausen. My beer never bubbles unless I'm using a fairly high gravity recipe. I'm pretty sure the rubber seal on my bucket is dead, very dead. So not bubbling isn't much to worry about, especially because of your saran wrap deal.

jpsloan said:

1. I've heard of people doing this, and while I've never done it, I think the worst effect you'll see is a longer delay in propogation.

2. Yes. If you took an original gravity reading, you could always do another just to be sure.

3. I've done it, and it worked for me. You might also try finding a bottle of unpasteurized beer and tossing in the yeast sediment from the bottom (after taking a gravity reading, of course).

4. Yes! I managed to get it back on just fine. A little tip: get the end of the airlock *slightly* wet - not enough to drip - and then twist it into the hole, as opposed to just pushing it down.

Thanks for the input!

I think I'll let that sucker sit pretty until Friday, then I'll open it up and check for kreusen residue.

I might give my first try at racking to a secondary with this batch, since it's a light ale.

I used Safale 56 for the first time on my last batch. I pitched directly onto wort. I came back 5 hours later and it was already bubbling away (i was surprised) I used Muntons Active Brewing yeast (DRY) on my previous batch and fermentation took 72 hours to start. I imagine it was the saran wrap leaking (RDWHAHB) but I would definitly rack to a secondary, once fermentation slows your saran wrap wont be much protection anymore. I had the rubber washer fall into my second batch as well. I FREAKED OUT, but then I washed my hands and arms thouroughly dipped in sanitizer for a couple minutes and fished it out. I wouldn't suggest that route, but my beer turned out just fine. Since then I have been very careful when placing my airlock in the hole.

Yes! I managed to get it back on just fine. A little tip: get the end of the airlock *slightly* wet - not enough to drip - and then twist it into the hole, as opposed to just pushing it down.

Lots of people have pushed their grommets into holes. The trick is to put the airlock in the lid first. Then put the lid on. Then put water in the airlock.

these are both great tips to prevent this in the future

In the way of an update, today is one week, and I opened the bucket.

It looked good. It smelled terrific!

I racked it to a carboy this evening, salvaged my little gasket, took a hydrometer reading, and drank the sample.

Oh my. Quite nice!

Good. Like I always said....beer is really forgiving. I've been using dry yeast since day one. It's always worked. Took the advice my LHBS suggested, pour in the yeast at the same temperature as the wort, then stir and aggitate like a dog in heat. Within 3 to 4 hours, I get an active bubbler.

Latest posts

Back